The details on this tapestry are absolutely superb. It was woven in Flanders in the 1600s. The village in the ...
moreThe details on this tapestry are absolutely superb. It was woven in Flanders in the 1600s. The village in the background for instance, is so finely woven you can see the architectural ornamentation of each building. Some of the foliate details actually show individual veins in leaves. This tapestry depicts a Roman general mounted on horseback handing over orders to a warrior on foot who carries a bow, while another warrior behind him is holding a spear. It is rare to have a Roman general as the subject on a tapestry. The border is original with the main panel of scrolling foliage surrounded by two lighter borders and a brown binding around the periphery.
Flanders at that time (1600s) was the center for the finest tapestry in the world. During the middle ages and through the hundred years war, France was considered the world's most important producer of tapestry, with Paris being the tapestry capital of the western world. Unfortunately, during the hundred years war, with pillaging and unrest, many woven tapestry pieces were lost or burned for their precious metal content. Eventually tapestry artists, skilled dyers and tapestry craftsmen moved north towards Flanders into what today is called Holland and Belgium. In 16th century Flanders, the towns of Oudenaarde, Brussells, Geraardsbergen and Enghein had become the center of European tapestry production. Starting in the 17th century, Flemish tapestries were arguably the most important productions, with many specimens of this era still existence, demonstrating the intricate detail of pattern and color. less
- 147.5ʺW × 0.25ʺD × 135ʺH
- 17th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- CONDITION: Good antique commensurate with age, Some sections separations as seen in photos, previous restorations. Full backing added for support ... moreCONDITION: Good antique commensurate with age, Some sections separations as seen in photos, previous restorations. Full backing added for support. Thick velcro support stitched to back top for optimal hanging (museum standard). less
- Louis XIV
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.