An unusual painted antique French Louis Philippe mahogany bibliotheque display cabinet bookcase circa 1870. The upper crown has a flared ... moreAn unusual painted antique French Louis Philippe mahogany bibliotheque display cabinet bookcase circa 1870. The upper crown has a flared profile that extends forward and to both sides of the top while beneath the crown there are two cabinet doors placed side by side. Both of the cabinet doors retain their original antique glass with enchanting movement across the surface due to its age. The right door contains a metal escutcheon (the plate that guides the key through the door to the inside lock) with a circular brass pull beneath it while the left door has a matching brass pull to make the opening and closing of the doors an easily accomplished task. When opened the doors lay flat across the cabinet and reveal an interior that has three adjustable shelves for maximum flexibility of display. The interior also has a white painted surface that gives a wonderful contrast to the exterior black paint. The base of the cabinet contains not only a pair of closed cabinet doors but also a drawer that is opened not with pulls or any kind of visible hardware but by pulling and pushing gently upon the underside of the lower edge of the drawer. The cabinet maker's clever use of a slight change to the front profile of the cabinet gives this option so the drawer appears as a concealed element of the overall design. Both of the lower cabinet doors feature a recessed panel with a distinctive shape to the upper and lower frames of the door. Again both doors have a circular brass knob to open and close the doors as seen on the upper doors. When the lower doors are opened the entire interior is revealed with full access possible. Please note that the inside of the left door retains its original slide bolt that secures the left door when it is closed. When this bolt is engaged the door is securely fastened and may not be opened without opening the right door first. The entire cabinet stands upon a substantial plinth base that gives an architectural solidity to the design. Of course the craftsman who made this cabinet knew that it would be moved from place to place and so it is constructed in both an upper and lower section for ease of transport. The balanced quality of the cabinet is quite handsome and ensures that it will be a lovely focal point wherever it is used in an interior. Because it has both open display and closed storage it is not only functional but also highly decorative. The upper section has adjustable shelves that are each 10" deep. less
- 48ʺW × 20.5ʺD × 92ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Design Modified, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Because this is an antique piece of furniture it has some dings from a life well lived. be sure to ... moreBecause this is an antique piece of furniture it has some dings from a life well lived. be sure to enlarge the photographs to see every detail in closeup. less
- Louis Philippe
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
- Glass China and Display Cabinets
- Wood China and Display Cabinets
- Mahogany China and Display Cabinets
- Metal China and Display Cabinets
- Shabby Chic China and Display Cabinets
- Black China and Display Cabinets
- Brass China and Display Cabinets
- Gold China and Display Cabinets
- French China and Display Cabinets
- Paint China and Display Cabinets
- Traditional China and Display Cabinets
- White China and Display Cabinets
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.