Industrial designer and architect Hans Olsen was born in Denmark in 1919. He began his career as a cabinetmaker, but ...
moreIndustrial designer and architect Hans Olsen was born in Denmark in 1919. He began his career as a cabinetmaker, but, at the age of thirty, he decided to attend the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Art (Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi), where he studied architecture under esteemed architect-designer Kaare Klint (1888-1954) from 1941 to 1943. Under Klint’s instruction, Olsen focused on principles of ergonomics and anthropometry (the study of human body measurements), while cultivated his expertise in materials and traditional craftsmanship.
While many his Danish contemporaries—such as Arne Jacobsen, Poul Kjærholm, Børge Mogensen, and Hans Wegner—embraced the “Klint School” of modernism, Olsen was particularly eager to experiment with design and material choices in an effort to achieve maximum comfort. Olsen had an affinity for bent laminated wood, which engendered designs with great freedom of form, both sturdy and lightweight
In 1953, Olsen opened his own studio and began actively presenting his furniture at the annual Cabinetmakers Guild exhibitions in Copenhagen. This exposure brought Olsen a great deal of work with Danish manufacturers, including Bramin Møbel, C/S Furniture, Frem Røjle, Juul Kristensen, N.A. Jørgensen, and Verner Birksholm.
Olsen’s first successful design was the Roundette Dining Set (1952) for Frem Røjle Møbelfabrik. The compact, teak and leather design was an achievement in form and function, as the chair backs seamlessly tuck under the tabletop. Other standout designs from Olsen include the Shell Chair (1955), Easy Chair (1955), Fried Egg Chair (1956), the modular TV-bench (1956), CS500 Series(1962), Model 532A Rocking Chair (1963), and the Bikini Chair (1968)—iconic for its futuristic silhouette. Olsen’s Frederik the 9th Chair (1964)—named after Danish King Frederik VII, who apparently preferred sitting backwards—won the A.I.D gold medal in 1965.
Olsen passed away in 1992. Though Olsen is lesser known than his Danish modern contemporaries, his prolific career and distinctive designs have attracted renewed interest in recent years. less
- 40ʺW × 30ʺD × 26ʺH
- Hans Olsen
- Excellent Condition, Not Used, Restored, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Meticulously restored and reupholstered in Sandra Jordan Prime Alpaca B1040 French Vanilla and B1060 Basalt Meticulously restored and reupholstered in Sandra Jordan Prime Alpaca B1040 French Vanilla and B1060 Basalt less
- Seat Height
- 14.0 inches
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.