Impeccable 'Action Office 1' roll top desk by George Nelson for Herman Miller.
This roll top desk was designed as ... moreImpeccable 'Action Office 1' roll top desk by George Nelson for Herman Miller.
This roll top desk was designed as part of the Action Office 1 (AO1) furniture line by George Nelson.
The whole range was a concept of Robert Propst, who worked for Herman Miller, but the pieces were designed by George Nelson. So rather than a furniture item or a collection of them, Action Office was a proposition for an altogether new kind of space. The main concepts behind the AO1 furniture line were the physical and psychological needs of the office workers, and on the other hand, the rationalization of working methods. The rounded edges of this desk are also conceived with the user in mind: they reduce the possibility of injury. There is also a privacy feature that is embedded within this piece, namely the roll top cover of the desk that can hide paperwork from curious co-workers or guests. It saved workers time as there was no need to clean one's desk at the end of the work day. With regards to the aesthetics of this desk and the AO1 line, the line was intentionally designed to be distinct from other office furniture of the time. The mix of materials that Nelson used, the polished aluminium, the laminated plastic and the wood for the tambour door had never been used before. Together with the design elements that ranged from stocky to elegant, the range can be seen as modernist, functional and also traditional at the same time.
George Nelson (1908-1986) was an architect, writer, lecturer and designer who was one of the first to pick up Industrial Design in the United States. Nelson fundamentally questioned the basis of furniture business. After initial reluctance Nelson came to work as a designer and director at Herman Miller in 1944. Here, Nelson rejected the purely market-oriented type of business model that was predominant in the furniture sector and plead only to make furniture of which he was completely convinced: the rest would follow. In his first year at Miller, he produced 77 of his designs. Nelson believed furthermore that the industrial designer brought together all the arts. His designs are recognized by open shapes, clean lines and modest forms.
Literature: Vegesack, Alexander von and Eisenbrand Jochen. George Nelson. Architect / Writer / Designer / Teacher. Weil am Rein: Vitra Design Stiftung, 2008, p. 158-160. less
- 54ʺW × 30ʺD × 34.5ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent original condition with virtually no wear. Measurements are for the overall dimensions. The top writing surface is a standard ... moreExcellent original condition with virtually no wear. Measurements are for the overall dimensions. The top writing surface is a standard 29 1/4 in. from the floor. less
- Herman Miller
- Herman Miller
- George Nelson
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Table Shape
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.