Impeccable 'Action Office 1' roll top desk by George Nelson for Herman Miller.
This roll top desk was designed as ... moreImpeccable 'Action Office 1' roll top desk by George Nelson for Herman Miller.
This roll top desk was designed as part of the Action Office 1 (AO1) furniture line by George Nelson.
The whole range was a concept of Robert Propst, who worked for Herman Miller, but the pieces were designed by George Nelson. So rather than a furniture item or a collection of them, Action Office was a proposition for an altogether new kind of space. The main concepts behind the AO1 furniture line were the physical and psychological needs of the office workers, and on the other hand, the rationalization of working methods. The rounded edges of this desk are also conceived with the user in mind: they reduce the possibility of injury. There is also a privacy feature that is embedded within this piece, namely the roll top cover of the desk that can hide paperwork from curious co-workers or guests. It saved workers time as there was no need to clean one's desk at the end of the work day. With regards to the aesthetics of this desk and the AO1 line, the line was intentionally designed to be distinct from other office furniture of the time. The mix of materials that Nelson used, the polished aluminium, the laminated plastic and the wood for the tambour door had never been used before. Together with the design elements that ranged from stocky to elegant, the range can be seen as modernist, functional and also traditional at the same time.
George Nelson (1908-1986) was an architect, writer, lecturer and designer who was one of the first to pick up Industrial Design in the United States. Nelson fundamentally questioned the basis of furniture business. After initial reluctance Nelson came to work as a designer and director at Herman Miller in 1944. Here, Nelson rejected the purely market-oriented type of business model that was predominant in the furniture sector and plead only to make furniture of which he was completely convinced: the rest would follow. In his first year at Miller, he produced 77 of his designs. Nelson believed furthermore that the industrial designer brought together all the arts. His designs are recognized by open shapes, clean lines and modest forms.
Literature: Vegesack, Alexander von and Eisenbrand Jochen. George Nelson. Architect / Writer / Designer / Teacher. Weil am Rein: Vitra Design Stiftung, 2008, p. 158-160. less
- 54ʺW × 30ʺD × 34.5ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent original condition with virtually no wear. Measurements are for the overall dimensions. The top writing surface is a standard ... moreExcellent original condition with virtually no wear. Measurements are for the overall dimensions. The top writing surface is a standard 29 1/4 in. from the floor. less
- Herman Miller
- Herman Miller
- George Nelson
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Table Shape
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.