Cyanotypes (the blue) and Van Dyke prints (the brown) are unique photographic processes that don’t require a dark room ...
moreCyanotypes (the blue) and Van Dyke prints (the brown) are unique photographic processes that don’t require a dark room or a negative, but instead rely upon (in this case) cotton papers hand-coated in particular chemicals/iron salts, objects placed directly onto the coated paper, and exposure to the sun. The areas of the paper exposed to sun turn varying shades of blue or brown, and the areas left unexposed remain white. Amount, strength and angle of sun exposure, and the opacity of the objects, are all things that will change the appearance of the final piece.
Amy has always been interested in creating art that involves chance and processes that bring her into direct contact with the living world; plants and the sun being her key collaborators of late. Years ago she began tracing the shadows cast by plants in the sunshine. Crawling around in greenery, kneeling or perching while steadying her pad of paper, and working quickly with the sun (please keep shining!) and wind (stay still just a little longer!) to capture the image. More recently she’s taken inspiration from pioneering botanist and photographer, Anna Atkins, who documented underwater plant life off the coast of England in the 1800s using the cyanotype process. Like her, she places plant materials directly onto sensitized paper, exposes the paper to the sun, and rinses it in water to stop the exposure (or in the ocean, if more convenient, as Atkins sometimes did). She loves how portable and meditative this process is and how it sharpens her focus on whatever may be growing or the things she's collecting (shells, excellent shaped tortilla chips, etc). less
- 15ʺW × 0.25ʺD × 19ʺH
- Amy Chase Gulden
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Mint Condition, Not Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Excellent less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.