An original Eric Ravilious designed 4 piece coffee service for Wedgwood from the Garden Series, designed circa 1938 and produced ...
moreAn original Eric Ravilious designed 4 piece coffee service for Wedgwood from the Garden Series, designed circa 1938 and produced for circa 1951-1954, comprising a coffee pot with cover, covered sugar bowl and 2 creamers in different shapes, in transfer printed black with yellow highlights on a white field with the designer's characteristic graphic and very charming depictions of garden activities. The coffee pot features on each side a male gardener pushing a wheel barrow full of potted plants below a large deciduous tree, with ladder and garden implements to the side. The lids of the coffee pot and sugar bowl depict 4 vignettes: A basket of apples, a woman gardener bending down to pick up fruit, a wheel barrow filled with pruned tree limbs and a ladder with logs. All 4 pieces have stylized 1930s wavy bands, with yellow highlights. The shapes are typical Wedgwood neoclassical forms which date to the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Signed with printed Wedgwood mark , The Garden Series By Ravilious on the bottom of each piece.
In addition to this service, we have available 6 demitasse cups with saucers.
The Garden series was designed in 1938, but not produced until after World War II in the 1950s. Eric Ravilious studied at Eastbourne School of Art, and at the Royal College of Art, where he studied under Paul Nash and became close friends with Edward Bawden. He began his working life as a muralist, first coming to notice as an artist in 1924. He went on to become one of the best-known artists of the 1930s. He was the leading light of wood-engraving in England at that time, and undertook ceramic designs for Wedgwood. He also designed graphics for London Transport. His work is highly collectible and sets of his Wedgwood designs are rare.
Dimensions of each piece: Coffee/tea pot 7" H x 7" W x 4" D Sugar bowl 4" H x 5 1/2" W x 4 1/2" D Creamers 2 1/4" H x 5" W x 3 1/2" D 2 1/2" H x 4" W x 3" D. less
- 7ʺW × 4ʺD × 7ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very good condition. Very good condition. less
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.