Presenting an absolutely gorgeous 20th century Replica of 'The Tsar Desk' from the Gianni Versace Collection by Theodore Alexander of ...
morePresenting an absolutely gorgeous 20th century Replica of 'The Tsar Desk' from the Gianni Versace Collection by Theodore Alexander of NY.
Firstly, in this industry there are 4 categories:- (1) Original period antiques, (2) "Fakes" which are made to deceive, (3) 'Reproductions' which are not intended to deceive but copies of original designs to make antiques more affordable and finally (4) 'Replicas' of famous antiques which are re-created by master craftsmen to pay 'homage' to one of a kind pieces from history.
This piece very firmly, falls into the latter category.
The extremely high-end manufacturer of Theodore Alexander would have made this replica, probably in the 1980s.
It is completely handmade and identical to the original in all respects (save age).
It has a brass plaque inside the center drawer that states: “Rep-li-ca, Important Furniture by Theordore Alexander”.
It has a second perspex covered plaque underneath which states: ” Rep-li-ca Important Furniture by Hand. A Fine neoclassical ormolu-mounted pollard burl free standing writing desk, with delicately cast mounts on all four sides of Chimera and anthemion, with Medusa head handles, the frieze with central drawer flanked by two drawers to each side on lyre shaped open end supports, the platform bases raised on brass disk feet. The original Russian Empire, circa 1820 from the Gianni Versace Collection. Theodore Alexander, Designers & Makers of Fine Furniture, Eclectic Objects and Accessories”.
The original was acquired by the late Gianni Versace and formed part of his personal collection.
The Chimera (/k?'m??r?/ or /ka?'m??r?/, also Chimaera (Chimæra); Greek: ??µa??a, Chímaira “she-goat”) was, according to Greek mythology, a monstrous fire-breathing hybrid creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of more than one animal. It is usually depicted as a lion, with the head of a goat arising from its back, and a tail that might end with a snake‘s head, and was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna and a sibling of such monsters as Cerberus and the Lernaean Hydra.
The term “chimera” has come to describe any mythical or fictional animal with parts taken from various animals, or to describe anything composed of very disparate parts, or perceived as wildly imaginative, implausible, or dazzling.
The sight of a Chimera was an omen for disaster.
The palmette is a motif in decorative art which, in its most characteristic expression, resembles the fan-shaped leaves of a palm tree. It has a far-reaching history, originating in ancient Egypt with a subsequent development through the art of most of Eurasia, often in forms that bear relatively little resemblance to the original. In ancient Greek and ancient Roman uses it is also known as the anthemion (from the Greeka???µ???, a flower). It is found in most artistic media, but especially as an architectural ornament, whether carved or painted, and painted on ceramics. It is very often a component of the design of a frieze or border. The complex evolution of the palmette was first traced by Alois Riegl in his Stilfragen of 1893. The half-palmette, bisected vertically, is also a very common motif, found in many mutated and vestigial forms, and especially important in the development of plant-based scroll ornament.
Gorgeous colors, beautiful patina, excllent quality and condition. less
- 52ʺW × 26ʺD × 30ʺH
- Late 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Near Mint. Near Mint. less
- Table Shape
- Table Knee Clearance
- 25.0 inches
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
- Aesthetic Movement Executive Desks
- Brass Executive Desks
- Brass Executive Desks
- Brown Executive Desks
- Burlwood Executive Desks
- Cinnamon Executive Desks
- Dallas Executive Desks
- Empire Executive Desks
- Glass Outdoor Tables
- Gold Executive Desks
- Metal Executive Desks
- Neoclassical Executive Desks
- Outdoor Patio Tables
- Outdoor Tables
- Outdoor Tables and Chairs
- Traditional Executive Desks
- Wood Executive Desks
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.