This magnificent oil on canvas marine painting is by the 19th century French artist, Eugene Petit (Born 1840 in Brest ...
moreThis magnificent oil on canvas marine painting is by the 19th century French artist, Eugene Petit (Born 1840 in Brest, Brittany). Petit was trained by another well known French marine artist, Pierre-Julien Gilbert (1783-1860). Starting in 1816, Gilbert taught painting at the Ecole Navale in Brest, and this is where Eugene Petit began painting marine and naval scenes. From 1868 to 1870 Eugene Petit exhibited his works at the Salon de Paris, and ended up moving to Le Havre Normandy in 1876, where he would continue to be inspired by the ocean.
The painting below depicts a turbulent scene of sailors escaping their sinking ship among the tall white capped waves. The rigging on the ship is incredibly detailed, as are the individual sailors, seagulls, and cliffs of Normandy in the background. Pieces of the ship are strewn haphazardly across the ocean, while a streak of lightning flashes off to the right of the ship. Petit has a fabulous sense of where the extremes of light and dark should be in this ocean painting, a trait envied by many painters of the sea. The painting is in a period giltwood frame. The canvas is signed lower right, and dated 1883.
- 41.01ʺW × 2.4ʺD × 29.75ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Unknown, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good antique condition with some wear, minor losses to giltwood frame. Canvas has minor losses to glazing and craquelure in ... moreGood antique condition with some wear, minor losses to giltwood frame. Canvas has minor losses to glazing and craquelure in areas less
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.