Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This antique Cutler mailbox and mail chute originally came from a multi story building in the early 1900’s. It ...
moreThis antique Cutler mailbox and mail chute originally came from a multi story building in the early 1900’s. It was created by James G. Cutler, a prominent architect and businessman from Rochester, NY. He received a patent #284,951 for his multi floor letter box connection system on September 11, 1883, which was later called the Cutler-Mail-System.
The mailbox was referred to as the receiving box, which was mounted on the inside ground floor of a multi story bldg. The mail chute was mounted on the floors above, allowing mail to be dropped to the main floor for the postman to collect.
The mailbox is made of cast iron with a steel top and bottom. The design has ornate molding and trim with raised lettering and a large embossed Eagle. The top has an opening to allow the mail to enter from the chute. There is a mail slot on the front along with a large door, which was used by the postman to retrieve the mail.
The mail chute is made of brass and copper with a clear glass panel which acts as window. The brass panel has a slot at the top for dropping mail and the front has beautifully embossed lettering that reads U.S. Mail.
Additional photos are available on our website at GriffinTrading.com less
- 21ʺW × 11.5ʺD × 36ʺH
- 1900 - 1909
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Overall both pieces are in very good condition. Mail door and mail slot door are original and in working condition ... moreOverall both pieces are in very good condition. Mail door and mail slot door are original and in working condition. Painted finish on mailbox is not original and shows signs of wear, paint loss and patina consistent with age and use. The inside shows rust along the bottom backside of the box as shown in the photos. Rubber pad bottom appears to be original and shows signs of shrinkage and cracking due to age. Mail chute copper, brass and glass are all original with natural patina consistent with age and use. less
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.