Edouard Jean Baptiste Detaille -Napoleonic Soldier -Oil painting c.1870s
portrait of a French Soldier -oil painting on canvas -Signed ... moreEdouard Jean Baptiste Detaille -Napoleonic Soldier -Oil painting c.1870s
portrait of a French Soldier -oil painting on canvas -Signed
frame size 10 x 15"
canvas size 6 x 12"
(1848 - 1912)
Edouard Jean Baptiste Detaille was active/lived in France. He is known for military subject painting.
Jean-Baptiste-Detaille was a master of French military painters. Detaille was born in Picardy into a prosperous family with a military background. His father set him up with Ernest Meissonier who showed him finesse of execution and an appreciation for precise observation. Detaille obtained a staff position, at the start of the Franco-Prussian War (1870) which would provide him with an indelible experience to observe the hostilities of war first hand. This experience proved to be the mainstay of his artistic output over his lifetime.Detaille made trips to Austria, England and Russia researching the uniforms and military customs of those places, but his love of the French Army held his most attention. In collaboration with Jules Richard, he prepared 2 lavishly illustrated volumes presenting the uniforms and classifications of the army from 1789- 1870. The 346 figures and 60 coloured plates in Types et uniformes de l'armee francaise represent an encyclopedia of their subject. Many illustrations were made from the artists personal collection of military artifacts.Detaille's devotion to detail was to be seen in his two masterpieces, vast panoramas depicting events from the Franco-Prussian War: the panorama of Champigny (exh. Paris, 1882; central section, Versailles, Chateau) and the panorama of Rezonville. The first piece was based on his 1879 canvas, Defence of Champigny (New York, Met), and it was undertaken in collaboration with Alphonse de Nueville. It shows the desperate French defence against assault by divisions from Saxony and Wurttenberg on the second day of battle. The second piece was done without the aid of de Neuville. For the Salle du Budget of the Hotel de Ville, Paris, Detaille painted a dramatic allegory Victory Leading the Armies of the Republic (Dunkirk, Mus. B.A.) and two elaborate scenes of leave-taking and return (completed 1905) which emphasize the place of Paris in the military history of the Revolution and the First Empire and the links between these two eras less
- 10ʺW × 2ʺD × 15ʺH
- 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Place of Origin
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
The DECASO Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on DECASO in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- All sales are final on Made-to-Order items, some jewelry and limited selection of other items as noted in the returns and cancellations section of the product description.
- For all other items, sales are final 48 hours after delivery (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below).
- To request a return, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the order number and the reason for your return request.
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
- Upon inspection, if you decide not to move forward with the purchase, you or your agent must refuse the item at the time of pickup/delivery from the seller. Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final. Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a refund.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason, with the exception of Made-to-Order items, where supplies have been purchased or work begun on the item.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return and you will be responsible for the cost of shipping.