Charles Moss (1860-1901), 19th Century Oil Portrait c.1897
Fine oil portrait by listed American artist Charles Moss (New York ... moreCharles Moss (1860-1901), 19th Century Oil Portrait c.1897
Fine oil portrait by listed American artist Charles Moss (New York / Canada)
The portrait shows a seated bearded man. The portrait is titled Laidlow of Saskatchewan and is dated 1897.
Canvas dimensions 18" x 23". The painting is signed and dated in the lower right corner.
Very nice antique condition.
Charles Eugene Moss (1860-1910) was born November 10, 1860 in Paulding County, Ohio. His parents were G. A. J. Moss who moved in 1866 to Pawnee City, Pawnee County, Nebraska.
Moss was a student of J. R. Meeker, 1876-1877 in St. Louis. He moved to Paris to study in 1878. Moss exhibited works at the Paris salons, New York and the Royal Canadian Academy. He was the head of the Ottawa Art School.
One of Moss's paintings depicts his early memories in Nebraska depicting Native Americans crossing the plains. During the Diamond Jubilee Lord Aberdeen presented Queen Victoria one of Moss's painting.
Moss married and had three children - Arthur, Kathleen and Eleanor. Kathleen and Eleanor died in a swimming accident as teenagers. One son, Arthur Hunton Moss, lived in Cobalt, Canada.
Moss lived in Ottawa, Canada at the time of his death January 25, 1901. After his death his widow spent most of her time in England. less
- 18ʺW × 1ʺD × 23ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Nice antique condition. Nice antique condition. less
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.