Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
19th Century Japanese Cloissone 3 Piece Mantel Set is a remarkably well-preserved artifact from the period during which Western Europe ...
more19th Century Japanese Cloissone 3 Piece Mantel Set is a remarkably well-preserved artifact from the period during which Western Europe was enthralled by an Oriental craze. This particularly interesting three piece set from Japanese artisans includes two vases and an unusually shaped center urn with a Foo Dog lid, cast in bronze, which could be used for burning incense amongst other potential uses. The meticulous method of cloissone was eventually copied by the French and called Champleve after the region in which it was produced.
The Chinese introduced cloisonné, an ancient art of decorating metal vessels, to Japan in the 1830s. Through this technique, artists create intricately compartmentalized designs with soldered metal wires, fill them with colored enamel, then fire, grind and polish them. Objects that are embellished with cloisonné designs, like the technique itself, are often also called cloisonné.
This highly intricate craft gained popularity in the 1850s when, after more than 200 years of isolationism, Japan initiated contact with the West. Much of the finest cloisonné was produced during the Meiji “Golden Age” (1868-1912) and into the early Taisho Period, with Japanese participation in international expositions and world’s fairs. Cloisonné production soared as demand for exotic Japanese art swept through Europe and America.
Urn measures 11.5H x 12W x 9D
Vases each measure 12H x 6 in diameter less
- 12ʺW × 11.5ʺD × 9ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent hand-curated condition! Located in our 25,000 square foot Dallas Design District showroom, NOT our 25,000 square foot ... moreExcellent hand-curated condition! Located in our 25,000 square foot Dallas Design District showroom, NOT our 25,000 square foot flagship Baton Rouge showroom. less
- Place of Origin
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.