Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Dorothy Thorpe gold and Lucite candlestick holders in perfect condition.
A stylish and sophisticated pair of candlestick holders in the ... moreDorothy Thorpe gold and Lucite candlestick holders in perfect condition.
A stylish and sophisticated pair of candlestick holders in the gold version which you do not come across very often. An incredible design considering it is from the 1940s.
The double candleholder measures: H.23 x W.22 x D.18 cm and the single one measures H.20 x W.21 x D.15 cm.
Dorothy Thorpe started her design in drink ware in a very DIY manner – by cutting the necks off beer bottles and fashioning them into tumblers using decorations and handles. When her brother took one of the first tumblers Thorpe created to work at MGM Studios, Clark Gable saw them and ordered six dozen of the design. This was her foot in the door, allowing her to sell her work out of a small gift shop in Hollywood. Eventually, her client list included Princess Grace of Monaco and other Hollywood stars. This paved the way for her to become a successful contributor to the world of glassware.
Despite her lack of formal training, Thorpe would go on to design iconic pieces, develop glass Design Techniques, and have pieces added to several museum collections. Thorpe used many techniques to realize her design, among them etching, hand-painting, frosted silver plating, and silver banded glassware. Work produced by Thorpe is often signed with a backwards “D,” a large “T,” and a second “D.” One of her most popular designs was “Ivy Leaves.” She hand carved the floral design from life. Many of her designs incorporated natural elements, such as her Hydrangea stemware line, with elaborate, floral-inspired stems. She listed some of the flora she used a letter to J. Stanley Brothers in 1945, including ferns, sugar cane, bird-of-paradise, and palm aria.
Dorothy Thorpe passed away in 1989. Her skill in glass and design are still recognized today by curators, collectors, and even in pop culture. less
- 8.66ʺW × 7.09ʺD × 9.06ʺH
- Mid-Century Modern
- Dorothy Thorpe
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Both are in fantastic condition. Both are in fantastic condition. less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.