Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
A striking 19th century cast iron figure of George Washington, the full-body figure composed of two joined halves with a ...
moreA striking 19th century cast iron figure of George Washington, the full-body figure composed of two joined halves with a well detailed head, body and robe details, the back inscribed in cursive, in the casting, "Design Patented Aug. 26, 1843," together with a carved and white-painted Ionic capital.
Literature: Similar examples of "dumb stoves" (a stove with no opening in the room in which it is used, but rather connected to a stove in a room below), are in the collection at Winterthur and at Colonial Williamsburg, among other museums. The Williamsburg example is illustrated and discussed in Deborah Harding's Stars and Stripes: Patriotic Motifs in American Folk Art (Rizzoli, New York, 2002), p. 231. Another was in the Harold Corbin Collection of American Iron, which was exhibited at the Shelburne Museum in Vermont in the summer of 1988 and another has price of place at Beauport, the former home of Henry Davis Sleeper and now a house museum owned by Historic New England. For related examples see: Fenimore, “Iron at Winterthur”, figs. 33A & 33B, p. 85; Horwitz, “The Bird, the Banner and Uncle Sam”, p. 124 (Smithsonian Institution).
This cast-iron figure of George Washington is one of the most striking of all 19th century "dumb stoves." These usually did not have a firebox, but were connected by a stovepipe to a functioning stove on a floor below. That way two rooms could be heated by one stove. The designer, Alonzo Blanchard (1799-1864), chose Washington because the country was preoccupied with the nation's first president as a symbol of unity. In this guise, Washington is shown wearing a Roman toga over 18th century clothing. Blanchard probably based his design on the 1826 marble statue of Washington by Francis Chantrey, installed in the Massachusetts State House. (Source: The Albany Institute) Height: 47 inches Height on column capital base: + 11 1/4 inches Width: 16 inches Depth: 7 1/2 inches Column capital dimensions: Height: 11 1/4 inches Width: 25 1/2 inches Depth: 11 1/2 inches. less
- 16ʺW × 7.5ʺD × 47ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
Superb condition. Wear consistent with age and use.There is an approximately 1 inch very old hairline crack at edge of ...
moreSuperb condition. Wear consistent with age and use.There is an approximately 1 inch very old hairline crack at edge of the hairline just to the right of center in the front half of the casting. Base has old shrinkage cracks, wear and associated paint loss.
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.