Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
The Swiss NEMA cipher machine is an extraordinary piece of both military and mechanical engineering history. Known as the Neue ... moreThe Swiss NEMA cipher machine is an extraordinary piece of both military and mechanical engineering history. Known as the Neue Machine, or “New Machine”, the NEMA was developed by Zellweger AG in Uster, Switzerland during World War II to replace the German-engineered “Enigma K” after the Swiss realized that both the Allies and the Germans were able to break the Swiss traffic. One of the few rare models intended as a war machine, the present piece is an exceptionally well-preserved example of this extraordinary machine. Visually similar to the Enigma, the NEMA used a 10-wheel mechanism: five “stepping” or “drive” wheels, four coding wheels (rotors) and one reflector wheel that is movable during encryption. The use of the reflector allowed designers to effectively replace the plug board found on the Enigma. The reflector and coding wheels are the only wheels that are electrically wired, while the stepping wheels feature mechanical cams that control the stepping of the coding and reflector wheels. The addition of the movable reflector and stepping wheels allowed the NEMA codes to be more “irregular” and therefore, harder to break. Developed between 1941 and 1943 by a team of Swiss mathematics professors led by Captain Arthur Alder at the University of Bern, the first prototype was completed in 1944. After modifications in 1945, the final versions were created by Zellweger AG and released for service in 1947. Though too late to be utilized during World War II, the NEMA became widely used by the Swiss Army and the Diplomatic Service during the Cold War era. Only 640 of these machines are believed to have been created by Zellweger AG. This particular model was one of the rare war machines that were kept in reserve storage to be used in the event of war. Though the exact number of war machines made remains classified, these models are extraordinarily rare. The case features the following label:Nur bei Kriegsmobilmachung abgeben! Ne délivrer qu'en cas de mobilisation de guerre! Da consegn. solo in caso di mobilitazione di guerra !, meaning "Issue only in case of war mobilization" in three languages. The NEMA machine bears its original plaques and markings. Circa 1946. less
- 13ʺW × 14.75ʺD × 5.75ʺH
- Mid 20th Century
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- The NEMA machine bears its original plaques and markings The NEMA machine bears its original plaques and markings less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.