Signed by artist. Framed and ready to hang. Framed Dimensions: 32 x 34.
Stanley Bate (1903 - 1972) is ... moreSigned by artist. Framed and ready to hang. Framed Dimensions: 32 x 34.
Stanley Bate (1903 - 1972) is a nationally recognized painter known for his modern and abstract art. Born in Tennessee, he received his art education at Watkins Institute, Nashville, the Art Students League, New York, as well as in France and Switzerland. He and his wife lived in Claverack, New York from the late 1940’s until his death.
Bate has stated: “Art is not an object, but an experience. To be able to perceive it, we need to be receptive… (As to) the metaphysical quality---I would rather have it convey itself to the viewer. My paintings have no predetermined plan. They are usually worked out on the canvas. Their source may be subconscious, intuitive, unknown. I try to complete a painting in the shortest period of time in order to preserve the initial impulse. Whether my very personal feeling is communicated to the viewer, I don’t really care, nor do I think it makes any difference. It makes me paint, and I am gratified if someone finds some joy in my paintings.”
Bate’s work was widely exhibited throughout the 1950s and 1960s in group and solo shows. Even after his death, his works continued to be exhibited. Some of his one-man shows include the Albany Institute of History & Art, Cooperstown Art Association, University of Florida, Galerie Mouffe, Paris, State University of New York, and Winter Park Art Association, Florida. Group shows include the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Corcoran Gallery of Art , Washington, DC., Musée d’Art Moderne, Paris, Whitney Museum, New York and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA.
Bate received many awards in both national and local competitions. His works can be found in the following collections: Aldrich Collection, Nelson Rockefeller Collection, Library of Congress, Carnegie Institute, Albany Institute of History & Art, Berkshire Museum and Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute. less
- 32ʺW × 1.5ʺD × 30ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Circa 1960. Excellent condition. Slight touch-up to frame may be needed or may have reframed. Circa 1960. Excellent condition. Slight touch-up to frame may be needed or may have reframed. less
- Stanley Bate
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.