Abstract oil painting on canvas. Signed by artist. Framed and ready to hang. Framed Dimensions: 32.5 x 30.5.
ABOUT ARTIST: ... moreAbstract oil painting on canvas. Signed by artist. Framed and ready to hang. Framed Dimensions: 32.5 x 30.5.
Stanley Bate (1903 - 1972) is a nationally recognized painter known for his modern and abstract art. Born in Tennessee, he received his art education at Watkins Institute, Nashville, the Art Students League, New York, as well as in France and Switzerland. He and his wife lived in Claverack, New York from the late 1940’s until his death.
Bate has stated: “Art is not an object, but an experience. To be able to perceive it, we need to be receptive… (As to) the metaphysical quality---I would rather have it convey itself to the viewer. My paintings have no predetermined plan. They are usually worked out on the canvas. Their source may be subconscious, intuitive, unknown. I try to complete a painting in the shortest period of time in order to preserve the initial impulse. Whether my very personal feeling is communicated to the viewer, I don’t really care, nor do I think it makes any difference. It makes me paint, and I am gratified if someone finds some joy in my paintings.”
Bate’s work was widely exhibited throughout the 1950s and 1960s in group and solo shows. Even after his death, his works continued to be exhibited. Some of his one-man shows include the Albany Institute of History & Art, Cooperstown Art Association, University of Florida, Galerie Mouffe, Paris, State University of New York, and Winter Park Art Association, Florida. Group shows include the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Corcoran Gallery of Art , Washington, DC., Musée d’Art Moderne, Paris, Whitney Museum, New York and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA.
Bate received many awards in both national and local competitions. His works can be found in the following collections: Aldrich Collection, Nelson Rockefeller Collection, Library of Congress, Carnegie Institute, Albany Institute of History & Art, Berkshire Museum and Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute. less
- 30ʺW × 1.5ʺD × 32ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Circa 1960. Excellent condition. Slight touch-up to frame may be needed or may have reframed. Circa 1960. Excellent condition. Slight touch-up to frame may be needed or may have reframed. less
- Stanley Bate
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Art Subject
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.