This product is no longer available.
'Color Noise' by Fiber Artist Jane Knight. 1928-2013. Comprised of 25 elements, signed with copper metal label. Excellent condition.
Jane ... more'Color Noise' by Fiber Artist Jane Knight. 1928-2013. Comprised of 25 elements, signed with copper metal label. Excellent condition.
Jane Knight (1928-2013) was born in Grosse Pointe and received her BFA from the University of Michigan in 1951. After graduation, she worked as the Art Director for the Detroit based luxury department store JL Hudsons and designed for the Cranbrook Theater School. Due to her husband's employment at Eero Saarinen and Associates she was embraced by a community of cutting-edge designers and architects at the epicenter of the modernism movement and was personal friends of Eero Saarinen, Charles and Ray Eames, Alexander Girard and George Nelson to name a few.
Jane was an avid traveller who always viewed the world magically with her creative eye. As an art collector herself, she highly regarded the work of Alexander Calder and Henri Matisse. Throughout her career, she created numerous freestanding, wall mounted and suspended fiber art sculptures for countless interior environments. Her artwork has been featured in books on fiber design, exhibited in galleries in San Francisco, Chicago and New York and is included in several corporate collections including Borge Warner and Chrysler.
Jane's body of work is a product of her perpetual need to create art and a constant conviction that ones home should be a continual environmental stimulus. Her wall hangings, which are considered to be her most important works, are comprised of brightly colored woolen strands encapsulating heavy lengths of jute fibers. These captivating works epitomize the vibrancy and textural exuberance that was so characteristic of the fiber art movement of the 1960s and 70s.
We currently have about 20 of these three-dimensional textile works available. A few were acquired directly from her personal collection but a number of them were recently discovered packaged in storage and have not been displayed since they were originally presented at the San Francisco Galleria Design Center Exposition "Art Fabric '77: The Contemporary American Tapestry".
Much like her contemporaries, Sheila Hicks and Olga de Amaral, Jane Knight was one of the few female artists of this important era who were able to push the boundaries of a medium usually considered to be a craft into the realm of Fine Art.
- 41ʺW × 4ʺD × 67ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Excellent less
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.