Early Central California Historical Oil Painting of the Prather Family Farm 19th Century
Fantastic oil painting showing some family members ... moreEarly Central California Historical Oil Painting of the Prather Family Farm 19th Century
Fantastic oil painting showing some family members of Joseph and Mary Prather on the family farm in Fresno (Prather).
Original oil on canvas. Dimensions 40" x 28". The hand made wooden frame measures 45" x 33".
No visible signature. On the back are notes about the painting.
The town of Prather is named for Joseph L Prather, a pioneer in the foothills of the San Joaquin Valley,
Prominent among those identified with the agricultural development of California is Joseph L. Prather. He was born near Greensboro, N. C, on July 18, 1833, the son of Rev. Robert R. Prather, a planter, and a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Joseph's great-grandfather was born in England and crossed the ocean to North Carolina, where he became a planter.
When the Civil War broke out. he served in the Confederate Army, defending the principles he believed to be right: in 1862, he was married to Miss Mary Hedrick, who was born near Lexington, N. C, in 1846, and was the daughter of Joseph Hedrick a North Carolinian planter, whose father fought in the Revolutionary War. In the fall of 1865 Joseph Prather brought his family to Missouri, and in 1867 he took up his residence near Waco, Texas, where he was a farmer.
In June, 1872, the Prathers removed to California and Mr. Prather located a claim in the Mussel Slough country near Grangeville and also bought some railroad land. He helped build the canal and ditches, and gave an effective hand to opening up the country. However, he was fortunate in selling out before the Mussel Slough troubles, after which he removed to Wild Flower in Fresno County. It was the time of the building of the emigrant ditch, and he speedily located a claim and improved it, selling out at the end of eight years.
- United States Census, 1900
A fine opportunity to acquire an historical Central California painting.
Good condition with past repairs as seen on the back. less
- 45ʺW × 1ʺD × 33ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Past repairs as seen from the back. Past repairs as seen from the back. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.