At over two feet in diameter, this stunning majolica platter or charger, is particularly large. The painted scene painted was ...
moreAt over two feet in diameter, this stunning majolica platter or charger, is particularly large. The painted scene painted was taken from a ceiling fresco known as the The Triumph of Bacchus and Ariadne, by Annibale Carracci in 1597. It was part of the ceiling fresco cycle titled, "The Loves of the Gods", in the Farnese Gallery of the Palazzo Farnese in Rome.
The story of Ariadne and Bacchus begins when Ariadne, daughter of King Minor of Crete, helps Theseus, an Athenian hero, kill the Minotaur, a half man and half bull who lived in a labyrinth on Crete. Ariadne
saves his life by giving him a ball of thread so he can find his way back through the maze. Theseus kills the minotaur and finds his way to the entrance, thanks to Ariadne. After achieving the kill, he sets sail with Ariadne to return to Athens. Stopping along the way on the island of Naxos, Ariadne falls asleep. During this time Theseus deserts her! Upon awakening, she searches the shore of Naxos, desperately searching for her lost lover. Ariadne is suddenly surprised by Bacchus, God of Wine and his partying entourage. Bacchus falls in love with Ariadne and offers to marry her. He promises her a crown of stars as a wedding gift This is the scene depicted on this Majolica Platter below. In other versions of the story, Bacchus offers her the sky where she later becomes the constellation of the Northern Crown (Corona Borealis).
Ariadne was a favorite subject for paintings, sculptures and pottery with over 400 images of Ariadne on various pieces of artwork. Bottom photo Courtesy of Web Gallery of Art. CARRACCI, Annibale. (b. 1560, Bologna, d. 1609, Roma) less
- 24.5ʺW × 2.88ʺD × 24.5ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Unknown, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very good antique condition with only minor chips to edges and back. Very good antique condition with only minor chips to edges and back. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
- Black Decorative Plates
- Blue Decorative Plates
- Brown Decorative Plates
- Ceramic Decorative Plates
- Green Decorative Plates
- Italian Decorative Plates
- Majolica Decorative Plates
- Mediterranean Decorative Plates
- Orange Decorative Plates
- Outdoor Decor
- Paint Decorative Plates
- Renaissance Revival Decorative Plates
- Traditional Decorative Plates
- Yellow Decorative Plates
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.