Exceedingly rare, sculpturally resonant Greta Grossman indoor/outdoor folding chairs, of painted tubular steel and cotton cord, produced in California circa ...
moreExceedingly rare, sculpturally resonant Greta Grossman indoor/outdoor folding chairs, of painted tubular steel and cotton cord, produced in California circa 1950 by Modern Color, Inc. The chaise and lounge versions of this chair appear in the Greta Grossman archives, and are documented with staged archival photographs in the book “Greta Magnusson Grossman—A Car and Some Shorts” in the chronology at the end; the present side or dining chair version is not included in the chronology, but is apparent in a John Hartley photograph of Grossman’s own house in 1956 in proximity to an outdoor dining table (see photo here). It is logical that Grossman would possess an example of all the designs in the series. The outdoor lounge chair version subsequently appears in “Current Design” for Autumn 1950 curated by the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston. Modern Color, Inc of Los Angeles is listed as the producer and distributor. The 3/4 inch gauge of the tubular steel, the width of the chair, the “Greta Grossman green” color and the construction details all line up precisely with the present chairs, down to the welded projections that prevent the seat from sagging when sat in (see attached photos). Note that the same archival photo is used by Modern Color. Modern Color probably failed in its efforts to mass-market the chairs, perhaps sending a few prototypes around to museums or showrooms. The chairs have new cotton cord, following the original lines, but the green paint is spot-on original, with obvious wear (and character) associated with age and use. I am not aware of any other examples of this design turning up in any collection or on the market (nor of the lounge version), so this is an exciting opportunity for a collector, curator, or designer to add a hitherto unseen item from one of America’s most important mid-century designer/architects. There are two chairs available; they are PRICED INDIVIDUALLY.
- 21ʺW × 23ʺD × 33.5ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Fine structural condition. The “Grossman” green paint is original and shows patina and obvious wear associated with age and use. ... moreFine structural condition. The “Grossman” green paint is original and shows patina and obvious wear associated with age and use. The cotton cord is new following original lines. See photos. less
- Greta Grossman
- Seat Height
- 18.0 inches
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.