Exceedingly rare, sculpturally resonant Greta Grossman indoor/outdoor folding chairs, of painted tubular steel and cotton cord, produced in California ...
moreExceedingly rare, sculpturally resonant Greta Grossman indoor/outdoor folding chairs, of painted tubular steel and cotton cord, produced in California circa 1950 by Modern Color, Inc. The chaise and lounge versions of this chair appear in the Greta Grossman archives, and are documented with staged archival photographs in the book “Greta Magnusson Grossman—A Car and Some Shorts” in the chronology at the end; the present side or dining chair version is not included in the chronology, but is apparent in a John Hartley photograph of Grossman’s own house in 1956 in proximity to an outdoor dining table (see photo here). It is logical that Grossman would possess an example of all the designs in the series. The outdoor lounge chair version subsequently appears in “Current Design” for Autumn 1950 curated by the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston. Modern Color, Inc of Los Angeles is listed as the producer and distributor. The 3/4 inch gauge of the tubular steel, the width of the chair, the “Greta Grossman green” color and the construction details all line up precisely with the present chairs, down to the welded projections that prevent the seat from sagging when sat in (see attached photos). Note that the same archival photo is used by Modern Color. Modern Color probably failed in its efforts to mass-market the chairs, perhaps sending a few prototypes around to museums or showrooms. The chairs have new cotton cord, following the original lines, but the green paint is spot-on original, with obvious wear (and character) associated with age and use. I am not aware of any other examples of this design turning up in any collection or on the market (nor of the lounge version), so this is an exciting opportunity for a collector, curator, or designer to add a hitherto unseen item from one of America’s most important mid-century designer/architects. There are two chairs available; they are PRICED INDIVIDUALLY.
- 21ʺW × 23ʺD × 33.5ʺH
- Greta Grossman
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Fine structural condition. The “Grossman” green paint is original and shows patina and obvious wear associated with age and use ... moreFine structural condition. The “Grossman” green paint is original and shows patina and obvious wear associated with age and use. The cotton cord is new following original lines. See photos. less
- Seat Height
- 18.0 inches
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.