REALLY NICE early 19th Century Irish writing slope/box.
The outer body is made of mahogany and the interior is ... moreREALLY NICE early 19th Century Irish writing slope/box.
The outer body is made of mahogany and the interior is made from coromandel (calamander) wood.
Made circa 1820.
The Lid has a quintessentially Irish Armorial Crest inlaid in it and it is bordered with ebony and abalone chevrons…………very RARE pattern !!
I have never seen this pattern used before !
The cartouche is made of a solid silver insert.
The slope is made of burgundy Moroccan leather, with gilded banding.
It still retains one inkwell and has a pen drawer.
VERY RARE !!!!
This is a QUALITY SLOPE. It is made from the VERY BEST OF MATERIALS and would have been VERY EXPENSIVE to make.
The mahogany and coromandel wood would have been imported from the Colonies. The mahogany from Cuba and the Coromandel from Ceylon.
I am of the opinion that it was made for an adolescent rather than an adult....mainly because of its small and neat proportions. This would also explain why (the child) has attempted to scratch their initials on the cartouche. It appears to be the initials "N.F."
- 11.25ʺW × 7.5ʺD × 5.75ʺH
- Early 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very good original condition for it's age. Missing escutcheon to front. Some losses of leather insert. Very good original condition for it's age. Missing escutcheon to front. Some losses of leather insert. less
- Table Shape
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Enter a zip code for more accurate shipping information.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.