This is a Gorgeous mid 19th Century Victorian British cylindrical or trumpet sewing table/Box on carved stand with beautiful parquetry ...
moreThis is a Gorgeous mid 19th Century Victorian British cylindrical or trumpet sewing table/Box on carved stand with beautiful parquetry inlaid lid/top with chessboard or checkers board design.
The Interior is in great shape with original blue silk lids and decorative paper lining.
Beautifully tripod carved base with padded feet.
Probably used mainly as a sewing accessory but could also have been used for games hence the checkerboard lid.
Made of walnut.
In Victorian times they did not have Netflix, evenings were mainly spent reading, sewing and playing board games and cards. Ladies of elegance would proudly possess and display their sewing boxes. The most common accessory was the sewing box which would hold the Lady's needles, wool, darn, etc. Crochet was the realm of young ladies of style.
All children of 'standing' in Victorian times would do crochet work, hence the abundance of "Samplers" still collected today.
A sewing or games box like this one would have reflected the high social standing of its owner.
These type of tables were obviously 'a cut above' the humble sewing box.
This type of trumpet shaped table had 2 functions:
(1) to act as a sewing box and
(2) to play board games like chess or draughts (checkers) on its lid.
This is a top quality piece. The lid is inlaid with parquetry in the style of a chess board, the parquetry is made of a combination of satinwood, walnut, ebony and boxwood. The chess pattern is intersected with chevron stringing.
Outside the chess board, the lid is inlaid with 4 marquetry inlays of floral motifs scrolling on each side of the board.
The edge of the lid is inlaid with Tunbridgeware style parquetry inlay.
The carving of the central baluster and tripod feet is exquisite in detail and execution.
NOW BEING SOLD WITH THE WOODEN CHESS SET as seen in the pics. less
- 17.75ʺW × 18ʺD × 31ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Small repair to rear hinges means the lid needs to be placed correctly to close. Some fraying to silk and ... moreSmall repair to rear hinges means the lid needs to be placed correctly to close. Some fraying to silk and some losses of original lining paper but otherwise near mint. White King in chess set damaged. less
- Place of Origin
- Table Shape
- Other (unique shapes)
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.