Chic Petite ceramic lamp by Jacques Blin (1920-1995).
Jacques Blin began making pottery in the late 1940s Blin’s early ... moreChic Petite ceramic lamp by Jacques Blin (1920-1995).
Jacques Blin began making pottery in the late 1940s Blin’s early work made use of modeling techniques, as well as slip casting and stamping, before moving on to wheel throwing. On many of these pieces he painted abstract shapes on a matte white background.
After 1959, he began etching on dry clay before the first firing, later applying oxides and glaze. With the painter Jean Rustin, Blin developed this extremely innovative technique. These deeply incised and
bold etchings chiefly depicted stylized animals, imaginary birds, and scenes from daily life, recalling the pottery of ancient Crete and cave paintings.
He favored colored monochrome backgrounds treated with cloudy effects. After 1989 his work noticeably changed and form became more classic, design, although drawing on the same iconography, simplified and occupied the surface space less densely, as shapes became more sculptural. Blin’s wife Catherine assisted with the glazing, which took on a hazy appearance.
He first exhibited his pieces at the Maison de la Chimie and the Salon des Métiers d’art à la Porte de Versailles in 1954 as well as at the second Salon des céramistes et des métiers d’arts de France.
There, Blin succeeded notably in showing his molded elongated dishes and vases in single colors. In addition, Blin regularly exhibited at the esteemed Salon des artists décorateurs and Salon des Tuileries
and won the gold medal at the Prague Exposition Internationale de la céramique contemporaine (1962) and the silver metal from the Société des Artistes Français (1966). In addition to exhibiting his wares, Blin ardently promoted pottery through his writing (notably articles in “La Céramique moderne”) and as vice-president of the Académie internationale de la céramique. In 1970 he became president of the French employers’ federation of potters and studios (Chambre Syndicale des Céramistes et Ateliers d’Art), and during this period often served on the jury at the Vallauris Biennale.
This lamp is beautiful as well as a solid investment. less
- 4.5ʺW × 4.5ʺD × 6ʺL
- Jacques Blin
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Excellent less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.