Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Remarkable condition and craftsmanship distinguish this 17th-century German games box. Most likely created in southern Germany, an area well-known for ... moreRemarkable condition and craftsmanship distinguish this 17th-century German games box. Most likely created in southern Germany, an area well-known for its marquetry craftsmen, such an early and high-quality box would have been a luxury afforded only to the wealthy. Crafted of walnut with boxwood and hardwood inlays, this rare antique features exceptional marquetry work including depictions of flora and fauna both outside and within. The lid features a chess board surrounded by a border of floral sprigs joined by images of dogs, birds, frogs and even a mouse. The exterior base features foliate scrolls punctuating the imagery of goats, dogs, lizards and a snail, while at the center, a wonderful geometric pattern surrounding three inlaid dice provides a playing area for the two-player strategy game known as "9 Men's Morris." Open the rustic metal latch to reveal an interior and game pieces ready to play a game of tric-trac. Played similarly to backgammon, tric-trac originated in France around 1500 and quickly became a favorite game enjoyed throughout western Europe. The game required two players to roll dice and move their "checkers" accordingly in opposing directions to both gain the highest score and race your opponent to finish a "match." This box retains its checkers and dice. Tric-trac was very popular during the 17th-century, with the game portrayed in numerous works of art throughout the period. Speaking to the rarity of this box, several museums, including the Victoria & Albert Museum in London and Dresden's Grünes Gewölbe (Green Vault) Museum of incredible European treasures both hold similar southern German games boxes in their collections. Circa 1635. Closed: 17 5/8" wide x 17 7/8" deep x 5 1/2" high Open: 35 5/8" wide x 2 3/4" high less
- 17.63ʺW × 17.88ʺD × 5.5ʺH
- 17th Century
- Arts & Crafts
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Condition Excellent Condition less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.