This product is no longer available.
Devant la Mer (In Front of the Sea). Signed “Cassigneul” (lower left). Oil on canvas. Jean-Pierre Cassigneul stands among the ... moreDevant la Mer (In Front of the Sea). Signed “Cassigneul” (lower left). Oil on canvas. Jean-Pierre Cassigneul stands among the greatest living French artists of the contemporary age, and his canvases reflect his own unique experiences of his time and place. The present work, entitled Devant la Mer, is a testament to his unflinching originality and highly personal style, displaying his unique fusion of French haute couture with traditional portraiture. Richly hued with a vibrant palette, this monumental oil on canvas embodies the appealing sophistication and timeless elegance of Cassigneul's impressive oeuvre. The work combines two of the artist's most prevailing subjects: the fashionable female and the sea. Vibrant colors and striking brushwork lend the piece its contemporary feel, while his sleepy-eyed subject is a classic trope from art history. Together, they form a distinctive style that is uniquely Cassigneul. His work is reminiscent of Les Nabis, the early 20th century French Post-Impressionist painters, in its avant-garde color palette and flat spatial compositions. Expressionist painter Kees van Dongen was another important influence on the young Cassigneul, whose portraits resemble van Dongen’s elongated, sharply contoured female forms. Born in Paris in 1935, Cassigneul studied at the École des Beaux-Arts, holding his first one-man exhibition at the young age of 17. Since that first show, his work has been widely exhibited throughout the world, particularly in Western Europe, the United States, and Japan, where he enjoys an especially devoted following. Canvas: 38 3/4" high x 28 5/8" wide Frame: 46 3/4" high x 36 1/4" wide less
- 36.25ʺW × 2.62ʺD × 46.75ʺH
- Mid 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Excellent less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.