Mid 19th Century English School Miniature Portrait of a Lady in a Blue Dress
This charming young woman has powder ... moreMid 19th Century English School Miniature Portrait of a Lady in a Blue Dress
This charming young woman has powder white skin and rich auburn curly hair that is held up with a carved tortoise shell hair comb.
She sits for the portrait wearing no jewelry, allowing the viewer to focus on her natural beauty. Her blue dress with it's white lace collar and golden buckle show the sitter is from an upper class family.
The miniature measures 2" x 2.75" and his housed in a gilded copper frame, 2.5" x 3".
Painted on what appears to be heavy laid paper, or some sort of thin nature material.
There appears to be a signature in red (illegible) at the middle left edge (see pics)
In Victorian England women were obsessed with the pallor of their skin, a symbol of privilege. Many women used elaborate methods such as powders and creams to make their appearance, but many also used veils, gloves and parasols.
Good antique condition. The miniature is slightly loose in the frame. This does not affect the overall display of this fine portrait.
There are some various notes in pencil on the back that seem to be period to the miniature. These are slightly illegible - see pics.
This will look wonderful in your curio cabinet along with your other miniatures, or even modified to wear as a brooch. less
- 2.5ʺW × 0.3ʺD × 3ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Fine antique condition. See images. Fine antique condition. See images. less
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.