PRESENTING A BEAUTIFUL AND EXTREMELY RARE 18th Century Scottish Horn and Polished Stone Tea Caddy. This is a piece of ...
morePRESENTING A BEAUTIFUL AND EXTREMELY RARE 18th Century Scottish Horn and Polished Stone Tea Caddy. This is a piece of Scottish history !!
Made circa 1780. The caddy is constructed of polished cow horn.......from a Highland Cow Horn.....it is riveted together with pieces of bone.
In my opinion, this was a tea caddy as opposed to a simple sealed mini-barrel for powder or otherwise.
In the 18th Century.....tea was a very valuable and expensive commodity........it needed to be kept in a sealed container.
In England a tea caddy would be under lock and key from possible thieving servants, but in Scotland, with the feudal system of Lairds and their Clans, there was no necessity for the Laird to lock-up his tea, as none of his Clan would dare steal from him. Just think of the Laird in the TV Series Outlander !!!
Therefore the Caddy had to be functional.....it had to seal the tea from the elements to keep it fresh and to avoid the dampness.
Decoration of Scottish pieces was kept simple, using materials from the locality.....hence the use of horn and polished stones or semi-precious stones in the Highlands.
The stone on the lid of this caddy appears to be a form of polished greenstone......probably 'Jewel of the Fae' from the Northwest Coast of Scotland.....or 'Iona Stone'.
This would have belonged to a 'LAIRD' (LORD) ONLY as no ordinary Scot could afford tea in 1780 !!!
The caddy is in good condition for its age and construction....the lid has a repaired crack on the side.....but otherwise it is GREAT !!
This is a RARE and IMPORTANT caddy !!! less
- 4.25ʺW × 4.25ʺD × 6ʺH
- Late 18th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Repair to crack on lid. Otherwise, Mint. Repair to crack on lid. Otherwise, Mint. less
- Place of Origin
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.