PRESENTING A BEAUTIFUL AND EXTREMELY RARE 18th Century Scottish Horn and Polished Stone Tea Caddy. This is a piece of ...
morePRESENTING A BEAUTIFUL AND EXTREMELY RARE 18th Century Scottish Horn and Polished Stone Tea Caddy. This is a piece of Scottish history !!
Made circa 1780. The caddy is constructed of polished cow horn.......from a Highland Cow Horn.....it is riveted together with pieces of bone.
In my opinion, this was a tea caddy as opposed to a simple sealed mini-barrel for powder or otherwise.
In the 18th Century.....tea was a very valuable and expensive commodity........it needed to be kept in a sealed container.
In England a tea caddy would be under lock and key from possible thieving servants, but in Scotland, with the feudal system of Lairds and their Clans, there was no necessity for the Laird to lock-up his tea, as none of his Clan would dare steal from him. Just think of the Laird in the TV Series Outlander !!!
Therefore the Caddy had to be functional.....it had to seal the tea from the elements to keep it fresh and to avoid the dampness.
Decoration of Scottish pieces was kept simple, using materials from the locality.....hence the use of horn and polished stones or semi-precious stones in the Highlands.
The stone on the lid of this caddy appears to be a form of polished greenstone......probably 'Jewel of the Fae' from the Northwest Coast of Scotland.....or 'Iona Stone'.
This would have belonged to a 'LAIRD' (LORD) ONLY as no ordinary Scot could afford tea in 1780 !!!
The caddy is in good condition for its age and construction....the lid has a repaired crack on the side.....but otherwise it is GREAT !!
This is a RARE and IMPORTANT caddy !!! less
- 4.25ʺW × 4.25ʺD × 6ʺH
- Late 18th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Repair to crack on lid. Otherwise, Mint. Repair to crack on lid. Otherwise, Mint. less
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.