Set of three rare, antique late 19th century original offering vessel lacquered ornate gilded betel boxes in the shape of ...
moreSet of three rare, antique late 19th century original offering vessel lacquered ornate gilded betel boxes in the shape of a sacred goose, Hintha bird from Mandalay, Myanmar bird "Hamsa".
Hintha bird is the Burmese version of the Indian goose called Hamsa which symbolizes perfect union was associated with royalty.
Gold lacquer betel boxes, the bird's wings are metal and encrusted with glass details the non-gilded sections are decorated with cinnabar red lacquer.
Burmese lacquer makers excelled in building up high relief with applied decoration, as seen on this wooden objects.
The hintha are further embellished with moulded relief work in lacquer putty, a technique known as thayo.
Then stuck onto the surface and embellished with gold leaves, semi-precious stones, glass, and mirror pieces were inlaid to add value, in accordance with the taste in Mandalay.
The plump body of the hinth are separates into two halves revealing a shallow cavity decorated in plain red lacquer.
This is where small quantities of betel were stored.
The condition of these boxes are relatively good. There are some almost unavoidable losses to the lacquerwork but these are relatively minor.
These are fine examples of extraordinary pieces of Burmese religious art.
Unknown artist, Burmese, Myanmar, Box in the Shape of a Mythological Hintha Bird, circa 1900-1960
currently on display in London's Victoria & Albert Museum.
A similar box is illustrated in McGill (2009, p. 89).
Gift of Doris Duke’s Southeast Asian Art Collection.
Isaacs, R., & T.R. Blurton, Burma and the Art of Lacquer, River Books, 2000.
McGill, F. (ed.), Emerald Cities: Arts of Siam and Burma, 1775-1950, Asian Art Museum, 2009.
Large bird: 9.25" H x 7.25" W x 12" L.
Medium bird: 7" H x 6" W x 10" L.
Small bird: 6" H x 5" W x 7" L. less
- 12ʺW × 7.25ʺD × 9.25ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
Wear consistent with age and use.
Good. Some gold leaf lost on metal wings on the small and medium birds, ... moreWear consistent with age and use.
Good. Some gold leaf lost on metal wings on the small and medium birds, overall good condition.
Please check pictures.. less
- Place of Origin
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.