Mosque lamp in the Islamic tradition, Mameluk style hand painted blown clear glass with gilded calligraphic inscriptions.
Dimensions: 15in. height ... moreMosque lamp in the Islamic tradition, Mameluk style hand painted blown clear glass with gilded calligraphic inscriptions.
Dimensions: 15in. height x 11in. diameter, mouth opening 9.5in.
These were used as oil lamps.
Large round bulbous body rising to a narrower waist, above which the top section is flared.
There is a foot so it can be placed on a surface, but they were normally used suspended by chains that went through the three loops on the outside of the body.
They were used to light Middle eastern mosques and other buildings in mosque complexes, in large spaces in groups hanging from a circular metal frame.
Glass mosque lamps with were mainly made during the Mamluk period in Egypt or Syria. They were made on commission and were presented by Mamluk sultans as gifts to Cairo mosques.
This is the most characteristic type, with a flared neck, a rounded body with handles, and a wide foot.
The lamp was made by blowing hot glass into shape and then leaving it to cool.
The gilding were then painted on. The blown glass would have been decorated with gilt using fine brushes. less
- 11.5ʺW × 11.5ʺD × 15ʺL
- Early 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
Wear consistent with age and use.
Good. Wear consistent with age and use.
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.