Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
An exceptional example of Tiffany & Co. craftsmanship, this incredible writing box is the only one of its kind known ...
moreAn exceptional example of Tiffany & Co. craftsmanship, this incredible writing box is the only one of its kind known, beautifully exhibiting the Victorian fascination with ingenuity in furniture design. Specially made for the personal yacht of Leonard Holmes, an important Tiffany client. From the exotic coromandel wood exterior to the lustrous satinwood interior, the quality of the timber is as fine as you will see anywhere. The ormolu mounts on the exterior are crafted in the Renaissance style and expertly gilded in 24K gold. The exceptional plaques depicting Landsknechts, or conquistadors, are works of art in their own right imported from Limoges France. The plaques are inlaid into the cover, which opens to reveal ample interior compartments for inkwells, writing instruments and letterhead. A calendar with interchangeable month, day and date cards lines the top, while a removable writing slate and pen holder rest at each side. The extraordinary piece was retailed by Tiffany & Co. of New York, a testament to both its quality and its beauty.
Before the 16th century, it was considered undignified for the wealthy to manage their own correspondence, and thus a scrivener would be hired to draw up contracts, deeds, wills, and even produce illuminated manuscripts. This changed, however, beginning in the 18th century, and by the Victorian age, the quality of one’s writing materials reflected one’s cultural and social status. Fine writing boxes such this were items of style and fashion and were also considered symbols of intelligence, commerce and world awareness.
Signed "Tiffany and Co. / Union Square" and stamped "Len. Holmes" on the base of the drawer.
17 1/8" wide x 12 3/4" deep x 17 1/4" high less
- 17.12ʺW × 12.75ʺD × 17.25ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Tiffany and Co.
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Unknown, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- excellent excellent less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.