Presenting a FABULOUS and VERY RARE, ORIGINAL Early-19th Century Chromolithograph Engraving after a painting by John Frederick Herring Snr…………….engraved ...
morePresenting a FABULOUS and VERY RARE, ORIGINAL Early-19th Century Chromolithograph Engraving after a painting by John Frederick Herring Snr…………….engraved by Charles Hunt….circa 1840/41.
This original engraving is of “Launcelot” ….”The Winner of the Great St. Leger Stakes at Doncaster, 1840” shown with his victorious rider/jockey…Bill Scott.
The engraving reports that of the 1840 St. Leger…there were 112 Subscribers of which 11 started.
Launcelot’s breeding is recorded on the print as being “Launcelot is own Brother to Touchstone, who won the Great St. Leger Stakes in 1834, and the Gold Cup at Doncaster in 1835 – 6, was bred by the Marquis of Westminster, Got by Camel out of Banter/ bred by his Lordship in 1826 by Master Henry out of Boadicca, sister to Bucephalus.”.
The Owner of Launcelot is recorded as ” The Property of The Most Noble The Marquis of Westminster.”.
“To Whom this Print by permission is most respectfully dedicated by the Publishers…. S & J Fuller”.
“London published Novr 1, by S. & J. Fuller, at their Sporting Gallery, 34 Rathbone Place “.
“Painted by J. F. Herring “.
The engraving is also stamped with the words “Proof”.
This Aquantint beautifully captures the Winning Horse and Jockey that were victorious in the 1840 running of the St. Leger Stakes at Newmarket by John Frederick Herring, Sr.., one of Great Britain’s most renown sporting artists who did commissioned work for the Duchess of Kent and Queen Victoria. Herring’s Original aquatint, hand-colored prints are EXTREMELY POPULAR and HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER. The engraving is presented under glass in its original oak frame with gilt fillets.
This ORIGINAL Chromolithograph or hand colored aquatint of Launcelot is by the VERY FAMOUS and HIGHLY DESIRABLE and SOUGHT AFTER British Artist John Frederick Herring Senior.
The engraving is HUGELY IMPRESSIVE, EXCEEDINGLY RARE and in SUPERB CONDITION for its age !
The use of the words "Proof" on the engraving lead us to believe that this is possibly the first ever print of Launcelot by Herring. It is common practice for engravers when the have made the original engraving plate to run off a "Proof" of the plate for the Artist's approval. If the Artist was happy with the 'proof' he would proceed to hand color it and send it back to the engraver and publisher with his seal of approval. THEREFORE, the use of the words "proof" on this engraving are VERY IMPORTANT and SIGNIFICANTLY ADD TO the Print's Value and Rarity. less
- 25ʺW × 1ʺD × 22ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
The engraving has some very minor discolorations in the original paper. However, this is consistent with it's age and not ...
moreThe engraving has some very minor discolorations in the original paper. However, this is consistent with it's age and not serious.
We would not recommend any restoration to this print. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
More From This DealerView All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.