STUNNING extendable tripod base Fire-Screen from circa 1820.
This one is hard to call…..is it British or French ?
Personally ... moreSTUNNING extendable tripod base Fire-Screen from circa 1820.
This one is hard to call…..is it British or French ?
Personally, I am leaning towards French…….made of walnut, the brass-work looks more Continental, and the shape of the screen coupled with the base carvings all say French to me !!
The glass in the screen is all ORIGINAL, as is the hand painted flowers.
The Screen raises and lowers on a telescopic base with brass knob to tighten at the required height.
Fire-screens were very popular in the 18th Century and Early 19th Century, to protect women from the heat of the fire emanating from the fireplace.
Just remember.....back in the 18th Century and the early 19th Century they did not have electric or gas lighting. Once it got dark they read and worked by candle light. As embroidery was one of the Ladies most popular nocturnal pastimes they needed light to sew. To get this light they would sew (or read) as close to the fire as possible. Especially in the 18th Century, Ladies of Standing wore a lot of make-up......this would melt rather badly with the direct heat of the fire. So.....in order to keep them somewhat cooler and to still take advantage of the fire light.....they invented Fire Screens.
This Fire Screen is a BRILLIANT example of that type of Fire Screen used in the Late 18th and Early 19th Centuries.
In the 19th Century......as gas light became more available.....fire screens tended to be more solid and non-transparent.....they then became used more as decorative features to hide the soot and ashes after the fire had burnt itself out........hence they became more decorative with solid panels.
This one is SIMPLY STUNNING.....it is the best example of an Early 19th Century Extendable Tripod Fire Screen I have seen !
- 16ʺW × 18ʺD × 56ʺH
- Early 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Near Mint Near Mint less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
- Auburn Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Brass Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Brown Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Dallas Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Drawing/Sketching Materials Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- French Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Glass Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Gold Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Green Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Louis XVI Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Oil Pastel Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Outdoor Decor
- Shabby Chic Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Traditional Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Transparent Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Walnut Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- White Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Wood Fireplace Screens & Fenders
- Yellow Fireplace Screens & Fenders
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.