Exceptional encaustic painting by Russian-born artist, Rifka Angel (1899-1988) depicting a giant, old woman towering over New York City (likely ...
moreExceptional encaustic painting by Russian-born artist, Rifka Angel (1899-1988) depicting a giant, old woman towering over New York City (likely Angel in her old age - she lived in New York and Chicago on and off since the age of 15 when she immigrated to the US).
'Encaustic' refers to paint blended with beeswax and pigment. Despite late recognition of the medium, it has been around since the early 20th century, most notably used in Diego Rivera's works. Rifka Angel emerged as one of the first artists in the US in the 1930s to use a true encaustic technique mixing beeswax with pigment in muffin tins and fusing (a process her naval architect husband, Milton Warren Douthat, helped develop).
Wonderful contrast with this piece -- the idea of a giant figure towering over trees and buildings in Manhattan is menacing. However, the subject, an elderly, bespectacled woman in a floral dress gripping a book of poetry and parasol, is benevolent.
Colorful, floral motifs throughout (a signature characteristic of Angel's works) along with charming architectural and automotive (taxi cab) details identifying the setting as New York City.
Signed "Rifka Angel '71" in the lower right corner, and signed / illegibly titled on verso.
No-Jury Society of Artists, Chicago, 1922-29
A Century of Progress Exhibition of Paintings & Sculpture, AIC, 1933, 34
Annual Exhibition of Works by Chicago and Vicinity Artists, AIC, 1933
The Ten, Marshall Field Gallery, Chicago, 1930
16 Cities, Museum of Modern Art, NYC
Findlay Galleries, NYC, 1937-38
New York World's Fair
Solo, Knoedler Galleries, Chicago, 1930
'Rifka Telling a Story' (1939) is part of the Smithsonian's permanent collection
Chicago Woman's Club Prize, Annual Exhibition of Works by Chicago and Vicinity Artists, AIC, 1933
Chicago Society of Artists Silver Medal, Annual Exhibition of Works by Chicago and Vicinity Artists, AIC 1934. less
- 26ʺW × 1.75ʺD × 32ʺH
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good, vintage condition Good, vintage condition less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.