Exceptional encaustic painting by Russian-born artist, Rifka Angel (1899-1988) depicting a giant, old woman towering over New York City (likely ...
moreExceptional encaustic painting by Russian-born artist, Rifka Angel (1899-1988) depicting a giant, old woman towering over New York City (likely Angel in her old age - she lived in New York and Chicago on and off since the age of 15 when she immigrated to the US).
'Encaustic' refers to paint blended with beeswax and pigment. Despite late recognition of the medium, it has been around since the early 20th century, most notably used in Diego Rivera's works. Rifka Angel emerged as one of the first artists in the US in the 1930s to use a true encaustic technique mixing beeswax with pigment in muffin tins and fusing (a process her naval architect husband, Milton Warren Douthat, helped develop).
Wonderful contrast with this piece -- the idea of a giant figure towering over trees and buildings in Manhattan is menacing. However, the subject, an elderly, bespectacled woman in a floral dress gripping a book of poetry and parasol, is benevolent.
Colorful, floral motifs throughout (a signature characteristic of Angel's works) along with charming architectural and automotive (taxi cab) details identifying the setting as New York City.
Signed "Rifka Angel '71" in the lower right corner, and signed / illegibly titled on verso.
No-Jury Society of Artists, Chicago, 1922-29
A Century of Progress Exhibition of Paintings & Sculpture, AIC, 1933, 34
Annual Exhibition of Works by Chicago and Vicinity Artists, AIC, 1933
The Ten, Marshall Field Gallery, Chicago, 1930
16 Cities, Museum of Modern Art, NYC
Findlay Galleries, NYC, 1937-38
New York World's Fair
Solo, Knoedler Galleries, Chicago, 1930
'Rifka Telling a Story' (1939) is part of the Smithsonian's permanent collection
Chicago Woman's Club Prize, Annual Exhibition of Works by Chicago and Vicinity Artists, AIC, 1933
Chicago Society of Artists Silver Medal, Annual Exhibition of Works by Chicago and Vicinity Artists, AIC 1934. less
- 26ʺW × 1.75ʺD × 32ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good, vintage condition Good, vintage condition less
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.