JCL01 Hungarian Painted Pine Trunk or Blanket Chest 44x23.5x21.5 circa 1850 $1695.00
This handsome hand-cut dovetailed trunk ... moreJCL01 Hungarian Painted Pine Trunk or Blanket Chest 44x23.5x21.5 circa 1850 $1695.00
This handsome hand-cut dovetailed trunk is in the form of a faux mule chest, that is, the lower front panel is designed to simulate a drawer front. Each front corner is adorned with a split baluster mounted between a boldly fluted base and corbel.
The remarkable feature of this piece is the paintwork, for it is not only a practical and versatile piece of traditional furniture. It is also an outstanding example of Hungarian folk art.
The ground is a vivid blood orange. On the sides are abstract waves or cloudbursts in black paint and wash. The upper front panel has three bouquets of stylized flowers and buds, the centre one surrounding an iron escutcheon plate. Rarely have we seen such a display of vibrant colours in floral paintwork. There is red, white, yellow, and black. There are blues and greens melting into each other. There are petals and leaves and pearls of white, and such a cacophony of colours that it’s magic just to gaze into them. This theme is repeated in two garlands on the false drawer front and the applied fluted moldings are flecked with little floral gems.
The trio of similar bouquets on the top is bordered with bobbins of black paint. The paintwork here is somewhat darkened and worn through use but it still retains almost all of its lovely decoration.
The two-board top lifts on long iron strap hinges, hooked at the ends, to reveal a deep storage well with full candle box and lid in the upper left.
This outstanding trunk is in almost completely original condition with only one or two hardly visible repairs to the front and side bottom edges. The four turned feet are replacements.
- 44ʺW × 21.5ʺD × 23.5ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very good sturdy condition with wear consistent with age and use. See description for details. Very good sturdy condition with wear consistent with age and use. See description for details. less
- Place of Origin
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
- Paint Trunks and Blanket Chests
- Iron Trunks and Blanket Chests
- Pine Trunks and Blanket Chests
- Wood Trunks and Blanket Chests
- Metal Trunks and Blanket Chests
- Rustic Trunks and Blanket Chests
- Country Trunks and Blanket Chests
- Folk Art Trunks and Blanket Chests
- Orange Trunks and Blanket Chests
- Red Trunks and Blanket Chests
- White Trunks and Blanket Chests
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.