Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Berndt Friberg (Swedish, 1899 - 1981) is one of Sweden's most distinguished ceramic artists, and is recognized in particular for the ...
moreBerndt Friberg (Swedish, 1899 - 1981) is one of Sweden's most distinguished ceramic artists, and is recognized in particular for the depth of his specialized glazes and the precise execution of his immaculate hand thrown forms.
Friberg was born in Höganäs to a family of potters and had been producing ceramic work from the age of 13. In 1944, Friberg was apprenticed as a thrower to Wilhelm Kåge and Stig Lindberg at Gustavsberg Potteries, two of the most prolific and renowned ceramists in Sweden. Friberg was also active at Gustavsberg Studio, which was established as an experimental workshop under Kåge in 1942. Gustavsberg Studio served as an incubator for fascinating advances in ceramic artistry, and permitted individual artists like Friberg to perfect and improve upon traditional techniques. It was there that Friberg developed his signature forms and glazes.
Each one of Friberg's ceramic vessels was personally hand thrown and therefore unique. Friberg produced superlative forms, owed to his meticulous attention to detail, and he was known to destroy any work that did not meet his exacting standards. Friberg's ceramics are also distinctive for their exquisite matte glazes, which he developed with Chinese and Japanese traditions in mind. These glazes are characterized by a "hare's fur" effect that manifests as delicate striations where the glaze is applied; this lends an apparent depth to each of his vessels.
Friberg created his signature ceramics up until his death in 1981. His works were collected by King Carl Gustaf of Sweden, Yves Saint Laurent and Robert Mapplethorpe, and his works are featured in a multitude of prestigious public collections.
Museum of Modern Art, New York
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto
Museum of Applied Art, Copenhagen
National Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen
1948, 1951, 1954 Gold Prize, Triennale di Milano
1960 Gregor Paulsson Trophy
1965 First Prize at the Faenza International Ceramic Art Competition
1980 Prince Eugene Medal, Sweden less
- 5ʺW × 5ʺD × 18ʺH
- Berndt Friberg
- Berndt Friberg
- Berndt Friberg
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.