Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Maren Kloppmann is a ceramic artist renown for her architectonic wall sculptures. Both her large and small-scale installations are a ...
moreMaren Kloppmann is a ceramic artist renown for her architectonic wall sculptures. Both her large and small-scale installations are a study in the reconciliation of the divergent qualities of natural and man-made structures by creating a visual dialog between the two aesthetic aspects.
Kloppman was born in Germany in 1962 and raised in Veerssen. In 1981, Kloppmann undertook a three-year apprenticeship at Keramik Handwerkskammer for production pottery. Upon receiving her Journeyman degree in 1984, Kloppmann travelled to the United States to pursue a yearlong studio assistantship in Iowa City, and completed several artist-in-residencies in North Carolina and Michigan. She later received her undergraduate degree at the Kansas City Art Institute in 1993, and her master's degree at the University of Minnesota in 1996.
After a 17-year career in functional ceramics, Kloppmann began experimenting with volume and proportion. Taking inspiration from both her urbane working environment, and the austere simplicity of her studio and wooden treadle, Kloppmann describes her style as the "visual confluence between control and serendipity," and it is obvious that each of her sculptures, handcrafted from soft clay slabs, embody a balance between precision in design and the subtlety of the artist's touch.
Kloppmann creates sculptural wall installations and porcelain vessels, employing a combination of techniques that include throwing, slab building and coiling, with an apparent focus on the three dimensional space that the pieces occupy. Her objective developed from utilitarianism into the artistic reconstitution of space, which she achieves through the creation of porcelain sculpture in shapes of definitive relief, depth, texture and color. She also pursues specific means of presentation, such as wall mounting, in which her sculptures appear to manipulate sources of light. This is ultimately how Kloppmann's Shadow Wall Pillowseries was conceived.
The resulting artworks are stable, contained shapes, often in modular repetition. The juxtaposition of colored glazes creates soft tensions and unique geometries. Her works can appear at once organic and architectural; they are minimalist studies in the precision of line, volume and form that blur the boundaries between craft design and fine art.
Maren Kloppman currently lives and works in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where she operates her own studio and gallery. She is a three-time McKnight Fellow, and her awards include a Jerome Fellowship and five Minnesota State Arts Board grants. Her work is represented in numerous museums including the Crocker Museum of Art, Sacramento CA, the Frederik R.Weisman Art Museum, Minneapolis MN, the Herberger Museumof Art & Design, Tempe AZ, the Historical Society of Minnesota, St. Paul MN, the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Minneapolis MN, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City MO and the Tweed Museum of Art, Duluth MN. less
- 64ʺW × 5.5ʺD × 48ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Excellent less
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.