Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Grete Jalk (Danish, 1920 - 2006) was born in Copenhagen and studied at the Design School for Women before graduating from ...
moreGrete Jalk (Danish, 1920 - 2006) was born in Copenhagen and studied at the Design School for Women before graduating from the Danish Design School in 1946; while completing her schooling, she also studied under Kaare Klint at the Royal Academy’s Furniture School. She went on to teach at the Design School from 1950 – 1960, opening her own design studio in 1953. While Jalk was multitalented, creating wallpaper and upholstery for Unika Væv, as well as silverware for Georg Jensen, she is most known for her furniture.
In 1955 Jalk presented a series of rounded, laminated wood chairs to manufacturer Poul Jeppesen; in 1963, Jalk perfected this style, winning a British furniture competition organized by the Daily Mail. Though only a few hundred were produced during her lifetime, Jalk’s folded, formed laminated wood chairs are iconic within her oeuvre. Her organic, elegant aesthetic is also visible in the simpler, more traditionally modern pieces she completed for wider distribution. These pieces became internationally famous, increasing Denmark’s reputation for furniture design.
Besides her own design, Jalk wrote widely about Danish design, editing the furniture and interior design magazine Mobilia from 1956 – 1962, and again from 1968 – 1974. She designed exhibitions, including ones for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the UN Conference on Women. The chair that won her the Daily Mail International Furniture Competition was immediately included in the Museum of Modern Art in New York’s collection, where it has remained on permanent exhibition. less
- 14.5ʺW × 14.5ʺD × 28ʺH
- Grete Jalk
- Grete Jalk
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Seat Height
- 28.0 inches
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.