Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Finn Juhl (1912-1989) was a Danish designer; a noteworthy leader in the implementation of mid-20th century Danish design, sharing its ...
moreFinn Juhl (1912-1989) was a Danish designer; a noteworthy leader in the implementation of mid-20th century Danish design, sharing its influence globally, and in particular on the American market. Even though during his early years, Juhl dreamed of becoming an art historian and was deeply influenced by the fine arts, his father insisted he undergo a career in architecture. Juhl studied in the department of architecture at the Royal Academy of Arts from 1930 -34. This was a crucial period in history for furniture design, as aesthetics, form and functionality were shifting towards a more modern approach.
For a decade following, he worked at Vilhelm Lauritzen's architectural firm, where he was responsible for most of the interior design for major projects such as the Danish Broadcasting House as well as Copenhagen Airport. Despite never finishing his studies in architecture at the Royal Academy, he was invited to become a member of the Academic Architect Society in 1942. He would later in life lecture at the Institute of Design in Chicago as a visiting professor.
Juhl always referred to himself as self-taught and without any role models; unlike his contemporaries, Juhl did not follow practical construction or popular streamlined, scaffolding type design. Instead, he took a more artistic approach to creating his furniture - referencing his own body and organic forms, his furniture exhibited fluidity and movement. Many of his pieces appeared as if the seated person were floating, with almost invisible joints between the backrest and seat. Ergonomic and elegant, his work was revolutionary during the 1940s and 50s.
Juhl collaborated with cabinetmaker Niels Vodder until 1959, and within that period he debuted at the Cabinetmakers' Guild Exhibition. Juhl received international acclaim when he was invited to design the entire interior of the Trusteeship Council Chamber at the UN headquarters in New York between 1951 and 1952.
Art Institute of Chicago
Museum of Modern Art, New York
1943 C. F. Hansen prize for young architects
1954 Honorary Diploma, Xth Triennale, Milan, Italy
1957 three gold medals at the XIth Triennale, Milan
1960 Kaufmann International Design Award
1964 A.I.D. prize for design, Chicago
1978 Honorary Royal Designer for Industry, London less
- 31.5ʺW × 35ʺD × 24.5ʺH
- Danish Modern
- Finn Juhl
- Finn Juhl
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Table Shape
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.