PRESENTING an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS mid to late 19th Century British Chinese Chippendale Style Cylinder Desk from the renowned maker of ...
morePRESENTING an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS mid to late 19th Century British Chinese Chippendale Style Cylinder Desk from the renowned maker of Hampton & Sons, of Pall Mall, London.
This stunning piece is elegant simplicity at it’s best with the most gorgeous natural age and patina to its surface and stunning details to the legs and throughout.
We estimate this to be from circa 1860 – 70.
It is made of the most beautiful mahogany with stunning natural patina. The top is in ‘cylindrical’ form which as it is raised the writing desk moves outwards. Once opened, it reveals a writing slope with original tooled green leather, 5 drawers and 8 open ‘cubbies’.
Below the writing slope are 3 drawers. The first two are smaller side by sides and the bottom one is one single drawer.
The smaller drawer on the right has had a lock and escutcheon installed some time after manufacture which slightly covers the makers mark…..BUT…..the makers mark is unmistakably for the renowned London furniture maker, Hampton & Sons.
This is a REALLY QUALITY PIECE!
Hampton and Sons Ltd of Pall Mall East, Trafalgar Square London
Established in 1830 in Cranbourn Street, Leicester Square by William Hampton, later being joined by his sons, George and William, the company moved to 8 Pall Mall East, adjacent to Trafalgar Square, in very large premises, trading as builders and surveyors, estate agents, ‘antique and modern furniture dealers’, general furnishers, upholsterers, plumbers and electricians. Their commissions included, inter alia, the furnishing of the Royal Yacht Britannia, the liners Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, the Theatre Royal in Drury lane, and the palaces of the Nizam of Hyderabad and the Maharajah of Kashmir. An incendiary bomb destroyed the building in 1940, after which they moved to Kensington High Street, where they traded until 1960. less
- 49.5ʺW × 34ʺD × 45ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very Good ... one minor repair to front right leg but not very noticeable and does not adversely affect the piece ... moreVery Good ... one minor repair to front right leg but not very noticeable and does not adversely affect the piece.We are of the opinion that the green marble top is a later replacement and it would originally have had a wooden gallery on top, but, the marble top is very complimentary to the piece and makes the piece more functional and usable. Minor crack to base molding on the front but not very noticeable. less
- Hampton & Sons
- Place of Origin
- Table Shape
- Table Knee Clearance
- 30.0 inches
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.