Paul Humphrey was born in Poultney, Vermont, and remained a life-long Vermont resident, moving to Brattleboro, Vermont, in 1971 to ...
morePaul Humphrey was born in Poultney, Vermont, and remained a life-long Vermont resident, moving to Brattleboro, Vermont, in 1971 to work as a house painter and taxi driver and eventually settling in Burlington, Vermont, in 1990, after ill-health forced him out of the workforce. He made his first drawing at age 57 and amassed hundreds of works during the final twelve years of his life. In 1992 Humphrey suffered a stroke, resulting in severe paralysis that confined him to a wheelchair, and to a life of art making. His Sleeping Beauties series consumed the final chapter of his existence—“It is my entire life, it is all that I have.”
Humphrey claimed that his first Sleeping Beauty was based on a photograph of his daughter, Sandra Sue. However, after the artist’s death it was discovered that the personal narrative he shared with friends was largely fiction. In fact, he had no daughter and the Sleeping Beauties were invented characters, their true identities carefully altered to fit into Humphrey’s imagined world. The sources of the images are primarily magazines, which Humphrey photocopied and then aggressively re-imagined with white-out tape to carefully shut the eyes of the subject and otherwise alter their features. He would use ash to create shading, sometimes filtered through a wire mesh, and additionally amend the image with drawing. These altered images were then copied again and color was added with pencils and markers as a final step. In each portrait a fascinating tension lies between the subject’s innocent expression and the deep complexity that lies within the intense layers of process—an affect made all the more powerful by the incredible consistency and obsessive nature of Humphrey’s artistic project. less
- 8.5ʺW × 1ʺD × 11ʺH
- Late 20th Century
- Paul Humphrey
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Not Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
More From This DealerView All
- Ash Drawings
- Black Drawings
- Crayon Drawings
- Drawing/Sketching Materials Drawings
- Folk Art Drawings
- Marker Drawings
- Mixed-Media Drawings
- New York Drawings
- Oil Pastel Drawings
- Orange Drawings
- Outsider and Self Taught Art Drawings
- Paper Drawings
- Paul Humphrey Drawings
- Peach Drawings
- Pencil Drawings
- Sculpture Materials Drawings
- Tiffany Blue Drawings
- Turquoise Drawings
- Wood Drawings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.