Presenting an extremely rare piece of Japanese Meiji Period Solid Silver Basket EXQUISITE, EXCEPTIONAL, RARE & IMPORTANT !!!
This is definitely ... morePresenting an extremely rare piece of Japanese Meiji Period Solid Silver Basket EXQUISITE, EXCEPTIONAL, RARE & IMPORTANT !!!
This is definitely a Meiji Period piece due to the fact that it is marked with the sterling silver mark "jungin".
The Meiji period was from 1868 to 1912 and in 1928 a law was introduced in Japan compelling the use of decimal marks for silver.
This pre-dates that decimalization law.
I am of the opinion that it from circa 1900.
The Meiji period (明治時代 Meiji-jidai?), also known as the Meiji era, is a Japanese era which extended from October 23, 1868 through July 30, 1912. This period represents the first half of the Empire of Japan during which Japanese society moved from being an isolated feudal society to its modern form. Fundamental changes affected its social structure, internal politics, economy, military, and foreign relations. The period corresponded with the reign of Emperor Meiji after 1868, and lasted until his death in 1912. It was succeeded by the Taishō period upon the accession of Emperor Taishō to the throne.
Solid silver pieces from Japan are VERY RARE.....due to the fact that Japan does not possess a large quantity of silver deposits. Silver was mainly used during the Meiji period to highlight bronze or other pieces and used mainly as inlay for cloisonne work etc....due to its scarcity.
This basket is of the HIGHEST QUALITY imaginable !!!
The top of the basket has the MOST GORGEOUS repousse work of flowers.....probably lotus flowers....with leaves and foliage......it has an underlying chevron effect chasing.....reflecting parquetry.
The 2 handles are cast in the form of bamboo handles.
The rim of the top likewise is cast as bamboo.
The base is equally stunning in a different way !!! It is chased with a chevron effect....like parquetry flooring.....the four feet simulate pieces of sliced bamboo with an interlinking gallery of support columns, likewise, simulating bamboo. The QUALITY of WORKMANSHIP is OUTSTANDING !!!!
The pieces weighs exactly 525 grams.
This piece takes my breath away !!!
This is one for the SERIOUS COLLECTOR of Japanese silver ...... you will not find another for sale ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD.....I know....I have searched !! less
- 9.6ʺW × 7.6ʺD × 7.25ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- Sterling Silver
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Excellent less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.