Drawing is refined and spacing superb in this early Yomut group Turkmen main carpet. Color is saturated and sophisticated. The ... moreDrawing is refined and spacing superb in this early Yomut group Turkmen main carpet. Color is saturated and sophisticated. The octagonal quartered 'guls' are of the 'tauk nuska' variant and include animals, thought to be linked double-headed birds in profile, two in each quadrant. While this gul variant is fairly common among the Yomud, Chodor, and related Turkmen weavers, here it is rendered in a very specific and unusual way. The 'tauk nuska' animals are right-side up in the upper half of each gul, and upside down in the lower half giving the the guls rotational symmetry. This means that if any of the guls were rotated 180 degrees they would appear virtually identical. Indeed, the same is the case with the coloration of the guls. This is not the only rare feature of this early Turkmen weaving. Indeed, the minor guls are of a type that are encountered only once within the literature. Five rectangles enclosing eight-pointed stars are arranged in a cruciform pattern with 'kochak' rams' horns extending from both the top and bottom while alternating blue and madder angles extend from the sides. The only other Turkmen main carpet that we could find with these distinctive features is a piece from the Azadi collection that was auctioned in Vienna in 2017. That piece was cataloged as 'Karadashli' rather than Yomut. Indeed, both carpets are certainly from the same group. While the term Karadashli has become rather standard nomenclature within German collecting circles the designation remains more controversial internationally. Needs a cleaning. Loss of outer guard border both ends. Areas of visible wear. less
- 5′10″ × 8′1″ and 1.0″ thick
- Early 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Unknown, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Fair - Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear Fair - Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear less
- Place of Origin
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.