Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This exceptional carpet was woven in the Tarim Basin area of what is now the Chinese autonomous region of Xinjiang, ... moreThis exceptional carpet was woven in the Tarim Basin area of what is now the Chinese autonomous region of Xinjiang, most probably in the vicinity of the ancient Silk Road city of Khotan. Weavings from the oasis cities of this region combine Chinese and local design elements and are often informed by models from further west in Central Asia and beyond. The open blue field of this piece is both visually moving and remarkably rare. Most Khotan carpets utilize a red field and are drawn with either a column of small medallions or allover floral and vegetal patterns. The small solitary rosette surrounded by a garland drawn in the center of this piece is a device more typically seen as part of an overall design. The colorful larger blossoms floating at the top and bottom portions of the field may be unprecedented. Latch hooks (or rams' horns) extending from the side of this piece are reminiscent of similar devices used to demarcate the sides of fields in rugs from Anatolia, the Caucasus and parts of Central Asia. While the Muslim Turkic speaking population of Khotan and the region at large may have been familiar with these models, they have changed them in a remarkable way. They have transformed random latch hooks into large, colorful, vegetal stalks culminating in pomegranate corner pieces of a type seen in the late 18th and 19th centuries almost exclusively in weavings from this particular region. The main border draws a variant popularized in Chinese weaving of the Kangxi era (1654-1722) though its coloration. This border, as well as the rosette guard stripes on either side, is purely local and could never be confused with anything emanating from imperial Ch'ing Dynasty (1644-1912) production. Areas of reweaving and reknotting. less
- 7′1″ × 12′5″ and 1.0″ thick
- Early 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Unknown, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Fair - Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear Fair - Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear less
- Place of Origin
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.