Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Spitalfields, draws inspiration from sixteenth-century tapestries and intricate goldwork embroidery. The magnificent work is adorned with hand-tooled wild flowers and ...
moreSpitalfields, draws inspiration from sixteenth-century tapestries and intricate goldwork embroidery. The magnificent work is adorned with hand-tooled wild flowers and insects, cast in Jesmonite and gilded before being arranged on layers of anti-reflective glass giving the appearance of delicately floating ornamentation. The ground of the work, made of crushed aluminum backed cotton and mounted on board has the appearance of softly aged parchment.
Coryndon’s work, inspired by elements of the natural world, is rooted in historical aesthetics. Imaginative and innovative, Coryndon has forged a successful career of combining traditional craft skills and specialist finishing techniques in a fine art realm. She has found a large audience with collectors and designers internationally.
Spitalfields takes its inspiration from moth collecting, a cherished activity from Coryndon’s youth. A white sheet would be strung up in the garden on a summer night and illuminated by a strong light. Quickly it would attract a snowstorm of moths and insects, depicted here in moon gold amongst a swath of gilded wild flowers. The title ‘Spitalfields’ references an area of London known historically for its links with the silk weaving industry and is synonymous with artists and craftspeople.
Todd Merrill Studio began representing UK artist Sophie Coryndon in 2016. Imaginative and innovative, Coryndon has forged a successful career of combining traditional craftsmanship and specialist finishing techniques in a fine art realm. Often material and process driven, employing multiple disciplines including bronze casting, painting, embroidery, and sculpture, her work has found a large audience with collectors and designers worldwide.
Coryndon spent her formative years working alongside her father at the legendary Coryndon Cabinet Makers in England. Coryndon’s work, inspired by elements of the natural world, is rooted in historical aesthetics. Coryndon especially draws inspiration from the influential the 18th century Neoclassical designer and architect, Robert Adams who was described in his obituary as, “a genius in elegant ornament.” The Adams style incorporated elements of classical Roman design alongside Greek, Byzantine and Baroque styles.
As Coryndon works on a commission basis, custom works may be requested.
Materials: Jesmonite, 12ct white gold leaf, moon gold, aluminum backed cotton and board less
- 76.25ʺW × 3.5ʺD × 49ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent condition Excellent condition less
- Sophie Coryndon
- Place of Origin
- United Kingdom
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.