Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This incredibly rare sofa is a superb early example of Royère’s playful style. Manufactured in Paris for Maison Gouffé ...
moreThis incredibly rare sofa is a superb early example of Royère’s playful style. Manufactured in Paris for Maison Gouffé, the sofa holds an illustrious provenance, acquired first by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and later by famed painter John Currin. Drawing inspiration from Louis XV corbeil sofas, Royère exaggerated the scale of this piece for a modern audience, adding a touch of whimsy to an otherwise traditional design. The curved back of the sofa prefigures one of Royère’s most timeless designs: the Ours Polaire sofa. This is a timeless piece that has engaged its audience for decades. It is in excellent condition with new upholstery.
In 2002, the sofa was featured in Blithe Spirit: The Windsor Set, an exhibition at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York that highlighted the close relationship between fashion and interior design, placing the romantic and spectacular evening gowns of the Windsors alongside the fine and decorative arts of the period.
Jean Royère was a French interior designer known for his bright, plush, and playful furniture. Often perceived as outside of the modernist trajectory ascribed to twentieth-century design, Royère was nonetheless informed by and enormously influential to his peers. He began his design career in Paris’ cabinet-making workshops before receiving his first big commission, designing a new layout for the Brasserie Carlton on the Champs Elysées in 1934. Taking on the mantle of the great artistes décorateurs of 1940s France, Royère’s success continued with great vitality into the second half of the twentieth century. His luxurious style soon caught the eye of the world’s elite and he began designing couture furniture and spaces for the likes of King Hussein of Jordan and the Shah of Iran. Royère was one of the first to promote a new way of life through interior decoration and his playful approach solidified his career with an less
- 108ʺW × 44ʺD × 44ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Jean Royère
- Place of Origin
- Seat Height
- 17.0 inches
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.