“The Roscommon Dragoon” after Sir William Orpen, oil on canvas. Circa 1918.
Sir William Orpen was one of the premiere ... more“The Roscommon Dragoon” after Sir William Orpen, oil on canvas. Circa 1918.
Sir William Orpen was one of the premiere British and Irish Artists of the Early and Mid 20th Century and is regarded as a British Master.
This is one of Orpen's most popular and sought after paintings and subjects - It depicts Mrs. Vera Hone in a Red Dragoon uniform. The painting became known as the Roscommon Dragoon (After the County in Ireland called Roscommon where Orpen spent some considerable time). Vera Hone (nee Brewster) was Orpen’s all time favourite model. She was an American beauty and moved to the UK where she and her husband lived next door to the Orpen’s for about a year. Orpen was a little besotted with Vera, as were many other artists, referring to her as the "Lovely Vera". She modelled for so many paintings that Orpen began to use a numbering system rather than keep on inventing titles for his pictures of her.
Probably a Gallery copy, back of painting has stickers confirming that it was exhibited at the Ballyrickard Irish Art Gallery in Ireland.
Orpen's original works are exhibited in all major Galleries and have sold for Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars.
One recently unearthed original painting by Orpen *The Refugee" was valued by the British Antiques Roadshow at circa $500,000 (250,000 GB Pounds).
Signed on back (not authenticated). less
- 26.5ʺW × 2ʺD × 30.5ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- Oil Pastel
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Mint Mint less
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
More From This DealerView All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.