Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
We have PLEASURE TO PRESENT to you an EXCEPTIONAL Pair of Monumental Framed Italian 18th Century Painted Tapestries.
We are ... moreWe have PLEASURE TO PRESENT to you an EXCEPTIONAL Pair of Monumental Framed Italian 18th Century Painted Tapestries.
We are of the firm opinion that these tapestries were made and painted in Northern Italy in the latter half of the 18th Century. Probably in the region of Florence or Milan.
Each tapestry resembles burlap and it has been hand-painted.
Each is mounted in a mahogany, custom made, frame.
The rear was originally lined with a gold velvet that has since decayed and been removed, but there is still evidence of the original.
The first tapestry features a ‘Romeo & Juliet’ style scene, with the gentleman serenading the lady by playing a Mandolin (a classically Italian instrument) in a garden setting. Both are in more high-end/elegant period attire.
The second tapestry, features a more rustic type scene, with the gentleman again serenading the lady but this time with bottles of ‘Chianti’ clearly involved, in a scene of merriment and harvest. Both are in period attire, but much more rustic in style.
They were obviously brought to Britain in the 18th Century as the Custom Made Mahogany frames are unmistakably ‘British Regency’ in style and construct. As the Regency Period spanned from circa 1800 to 1830 and the frames were obviously custom made then, the tapestries must predate this.
We are of the opinion that these tapestries were bought by a wealthy British person as part of their 'Grand Tour'. There is evidence of creasing on the tapestries and in our opinion this shows that they were folded and sent back to Britain in the Early 19th Century. The buyer then had his British cabinetmaker, custom make the mahogany frames to display them.
The frames on their own, are OUTSTANDING examples of Regency craftsmanship, with fluted and reeded edges, and a tree motif carved at the end of each side of the frame. Obviously, the craftsman's signature !
HIGHLY, HIGHLY, IMPORTANT AND EXTREMELY RARE AND FINE QUALITY FRAMED TAPESTRIES, from circa 1780.
You will NOT find another Pair like this ANYWHERE !
Provenance: Bought at Christies Auction House in London circa 1990. less
- 60ʺW × 35ʺD × 120ʺH
- Late 18th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- The frames have some minor scuffing on the feet with age. The 'Romeo' Tapestry is near mint. The 'Rustic' one ... moreThe frames have some minor scuffing on the feet with age. The 'Romeo' Tapestry is near mint. The 'Rustic' one has 3 minor tears and some very minor water damage at the base. But does not adversely affect the piece's beauty and quality. less
- Place of Origin
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.