Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Maren Kloppmann is a ceramic artist renown for her architectonic wall sculptures. Both her large and small-scale installations are a ...
moreMaren Kloppmann is a ceramic artist renown for her architectonic wall sculptures. Both her large and small-scale installations are a study in the reconciliation of the divergent qualities of natural and man-made structures by creating a visual dialog between the two aesthetic aspects.
Kloppman was born in Germany in 1962 and raised in Veerssen. In 1981, Kloppmann undertook a three-year apprenticeship at Keramik Handwerkskammer for production pottery. Upon receiving her Journeyman degree in 1984, Kloppmann travelled to the United States to pursue a yearlong studio assistantship in Iowa City, and completed several artist-in-residencies in North Carolina and Michigan. She later received her undergraduate degree at the Kansas City Art Institute in 1993, and her master's degree at the University of Minnesota in 1996.
After a 17-year career in functional ceramics, Kloppmann began experimenting with volume and proportion. Taking inspiration from both her urbane working environment, and the austere simplicity of her studio and wooden treadle, Kloppmann describes her style as the "visual confluence between control and serendipity," and it is obvious that each of her sculptures, handcrafted from soft clay slabs, embody a balance between precision in design and the subtlety of the artist's touch.
Kloppmann creates sculptural wall installations and porcelain vessels, employing a combination of techniques that include throwing, slab building and coiling, with an apparent focus on the three dimensional space that the pieces occupy. Her objective developed from utilitarianism into the artistic reconstitution of space, which she achieves through the creation of porcelain sculpture in shapes of definitive relief, depth, texture and color. She also pursues specific means of presentation, such as wall mounting, in which her sculptures appear to manipulate sources of light. This is ultimately how Kloppmann's Shadow Wall Pillow series was conceived.
The resulting artworks are stable, contained shapes, often in modular repetition. The juxtaposition of colored glazes creates soft tensions and unique geometries. Her works can appear at once organic and architectural; they are minimalist studies in the precision of line, volume and form that blur the boundaries between craft design and fine art.
Maren Kloppman currently lives and works in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where she operates her own studio and gallery. She is a three-time McKnight Fellow, and her awards include a Jerome Fellowship and five Minnesota State Arts Board grants. Her work is represented in numerous museums including the Crocker Museum of Art, Sacramento CA, the Frederik R.Weisman Art Museum, Minneapolis MN, the Herberger Museumof Art & Design, Tempe AZ, the Historical Society of Minnesota, St. Paul MN, the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Minneapolis MN, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City MO and the Tweed Museum of Art, Duluth MN. less
- 7.5ʺW × 2.25ʺD × 48ʺH
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Mint Condition, Not Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good condition. Good condition. less
- Black Sculptural Wall Objects
- Ceramic Sculptural Wall Objects
- Clay Sculptural Wall Objects
- Contemporary Sculptural Wall Objects
- Minimalist Sculptural Wall Objects
- Modern Sculptural Wall Objects
- Off-white Sculptural Wall Objects
- Outdoor Decor
- Porcelain Sculptural Wall Objects
- Sculpture Materials Sculptural Wall Objects
- White Sculptural Wall Objects
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.