Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Carlos Otero is an Argentinian architect, designer and sculptor based in New York. Otero's unique hand-made sculptures represent a return ...
moreCarlos Otero is an Argentinian architect, designer and sculptor based in New York. Otero's unique hand-made sculptures represent a return to the primitive: they are small but potent works created in bold defiance of contemporary trends towards overscaling, technology and the excise of the artist's hand.
Born and raised in Argentina, Otero received his education at the University of Buenos Aires in Architecture. In 1996 he relocated to New York City and in 2001 Otero founded the interior architecture firm Carlos Otero Design Inc. In 2010, Otero's interests shifted towards the fine arts, and he spent a two-year period in Hong Kong intensifying his practice of creating clay objects and studying the ceramic medium. Inspired by Brutalist and Primitive architecture, the works of Le Corbusier and mud architecture in Mali, Machu Picchu and Cappadocia in particular, Otero applies the forms, colors and textures from these movements to his sculptures and compresses them into small scale, totemic figures.
The results are sculptures that are at once architectural and biomorphic. Teeming with the artist's energy, they are dynamic, animated and demand to be handled, which is Otero's intent. He counts on the transference of the artist's energy to the beholder in order to subvert the expectations of the technologically inclined viewer on what it means to be interactive.
Otero continues to undermine the viewer's expectations not only with regard to interactive technology but also in terms of potency. In a recent series of sculptures, Otero appropriates the gilded orbs, spears and thorns of European monarchic regalia, and renders them roughly in clay. Seemingly a cancellation of the qualities of power and extravagance, Otero's objects appear to embody even more potency and presence than their original incarnations.
Otero's process involves the preliminary sketching of his sculptures and hand building his works with a multitude of materials including ceramic, natural wood, unglazed and glazed fired clay and the application of an off-white matte finish.
- 7.5ʺW × 4.75ʺD × 9ʺH
- Carlos Otero
- Place of Origin
- Mint Condition, Not Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good condition. Good condition. less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.